my spotlight doesn't stop indexing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by entelechia, Jul 25, 2009.

1. entelechia macrumors newbie

a few weeks ago I used a maitenance software (like onyx). I changed something in the spotlight settings, which made it indexing... without stopping.

I have now reinstalled Mac OS X.. everything worked ok. I then updated it... and the problem popped up again...

how can I solve it?

thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. entelechia thread starter macrumors newbie

30 minutes... but this morning it tried to do it for longer... then I turned it off and 30 minutes ago I turned it on again...

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Let it go. The very first index can take a long time. It will keep trying until the index is built. Apps like Onyx can delete the index, causing the machine to start over.

5. entelechia thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, I will do that.

the only thing I don't understand is why it started doing it after I updated mac os X... this time, after reinstalling mac os x, I haven't used onyx...

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Maybe the update erased the index, I'm not sure, but unless it is always indexing, all the time, it's not a problem.

7. entelechia thread starter macrumors newbie

it hasn't stopped yet.. it has been indexing for 3 hrs and a half now...

8. Amdahl macrumors 65816

There might be a file it is having trouble reading. I have had that happen myself. It might show up in the Console in a error message. I then excluded the folder causing the problem. In my case, it was a plug-in for spotlight that was having the problem.

9. entelechia thread starter macrumors newbie

actually, I have reinstalled mac os x today... and updated it.
    I have installed no plug-ins...
    I have just import my documents previously backed up on a external hd...

I have now put ALL my documents in "privacy" in the spotlight settings.. but the problems is still there..

10. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

I had this problem, Spotlight would churn up the process mds to use ridiculous amounts of memory. It kept indexing my external HDD. I eventually disabled Spotlight using Onyx, and just use a Finder window if I want to search. It's a problem I hope will be fixed with Snow Leopard.