My Sprint upgrade is March 1st

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Binaural, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Binaural macrumors newbie

I have already waited two years, should I hold off a few more months and use it on the 5? And if that takes too long, maybe the Nexus?

Or, should I buy a 4s as soon as possible?

Opinions go along way..

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Considering nobody knows when the next iPhone is being released (although it's likely October), you'd have more than a few months to wait still.

It would also help if we knew what you were currently using and how badly you needed an upgrade.

3. Binaural thread starter macrumors newbie

BB Torch 9850

I just cant stand BB anymore. The lack of apps, and the lack of...everything just makes me want to throw it at the nearest oncoming city bus.

4. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

I went from Blackberry to iPhone and I freakin' love it:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

5. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

No in sprint anymore just left recently , anyways I would go with the iPhone 4S if no date for the nexus been set, even tho the nexus would be nice cause of lte (but who knows when sprint will get it in your city) but you always want to get something that might for you right now and in the future , the iPhone 4S is secure to get updates from apple( proven in the past) and if 3G is good in your area go for it

6. camardelle macrumors 6502

If I waited this long, I'd wait a little longer to see what Apple will be offering for the next gen iPhone. But that's just me.

7. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I recently upgraded from my BB Curve to a 4S, it's seriously a life-changing event.

I also was on Sprint. I called and spoke with someone in Account Management (Retention) and basically made a case on why I should upgrade now (I was grandfathered into the old data plans, you'll have to pay a $10 per month fee PER LINE you upgrade using a Smartphone - it's called their Premium Data Charge)...

They pushed my upgrade up from February 1st to January 15th for both of our lines.

That being said, because of the changes to the discounts and contracts, I would seriously just consider going to AT&T if you wanted to get a 4S. Why?

1. LTE is right around the corner. It's highly speculated that the iPhone 5 will have LTE support. Remember, you're going to want this phone to carry you at least 2 years until your next eligible upgrade.

2. Sprint's 3G data speed is in the toilet, usually at or less than 1 Mbps. AT&T runs on HSPA+ for their 3G network - which they advertise as 4G, but it's not really a true 4G technology - which usually runs between 5 Mbps to 10 Mbps. So you're looking at webpages, video, pictures about 5 to 10 times faster. That's huge.

3. Sprint is in the process of upgrading to 4G LTE, but this isn't scheduled to be done until the END of 2013. That's also assuming they stay on pace. So you could technically upgrade now if you were hellbent on staying with Sprint and they let you upgrade in 22 months, so you'd be eligible to upgrade on January 1, 2014. Or if you're able to secure an earlier upgrade as mentioned above via Retention, you could upgrade today/this week and it would make you eligible December 1, 2013 (because the upgrade is available in the 22nd CALENDAR month)... When this rolls around, LTE should be done and usable. Remember, you can't get 4G coverage unless your carrier provides it. So if you "waited" for an LTE iPhone and Sprint doesn't roll it out until next year, you're 3G that whole time.

4. AT&T's iPhones tend to resell for more money. When you upgrade to the iPhone 6, for example, you can still resell the iPhone 4S to cover most, if not all, of your personal upgrade cost.

Again, I would truly consider AT&T if you can hang within the data caps.

I like the idea of the 5GB+Tethering plan, and might actually have considered that, but I'm now trapped with Sprint for the next 23 months. But who's counting?

For me, they made the offer pretty sweet: They gave me a $100 credit towards the difference in my bill and my activation fees ($36 per line to upgrade), and let me upgrade that much earlier. I just didn't want to deal with the headache of switching at the time.

I think the service is fine, even data speeds, 99% of the time. I really haven't noticed too many issues. At home, I'm at Wifi, so that's not a factor. It's more of a "what could be" issue, which won't happen very often.

8. Binaural thread starter macrumors newbie

I kind of like Sprint's unlimited everything plan that I currently have. I don't want to worry about my usage. I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!

I might budge with a Black 16gb 4s :(

9. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I say wait for the 5

and I agree with you about the the unlimited data thing, and in my area Sprint 3g is the same as VzN 3g in terms of speed.

10. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I suppose the best way to give yourself a comparison is to look at someone with a 2-year-old phone. While the iPhone 4 is roughly 20 months old, I'd suggest you reference the 3GS. While it's a little older, it's two models back from the present device.

The 3GS, for the most part, can still hold its own. You're still able to upgrade to the latest iOS, and you're still able to do most anything that the 4S can do, aside from some features like Siri, and I believe the Retina Screen.

When all is said and done, 2 years from now, your iPhone 4S will most likely still be a very good mobile solution for yourself.

I feel your pain - I upgraded from a BB Curve... and I'm very glad I did. If you *had* an iPhone already, I'd say wait. But you don't. You have a painstakingly gouge-out-your-eyeballs-with-a-toothpick phone.

Again, your bill will increase by $10 per month (per line, if you have more than one line) after you upgrade. So if you wanted to hold out until June, you're saving $40. If for some reason Apple decides to update the iPhone in October, then you're saving $80. If money is an issue for you, this could potentially sway your decision.

11. Binaural thread starter macrumors newbie

How come I am not paying the extra $10 fee now?

12. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

Binaural-

Not sure if you're aware, but you can get Sprint to let you upgrade early on this Saturday, 2/18, well, anytime after, but 2/18 is the earliest. The only reason I know this is because one of my lines is eligible to upgrade on 3/1, and I'm going in this Saturday to pick up a 32gb 4s. I'd say go for the 4s since probably the earliest, realistically, that the next iPhone would be released is October. I don't see Apple releasing the 5 within less than a year from the 4s, would be kind of screwing customers that got the 4s. At least with the 4 getting released on Verizon, it gave their customers, what, like 10 months or so until the 4s came out.

13. Binaural thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, but I heard that 2 week early upgrade only works with ordering over the phone.. and not in store. Id like to do mine in store.. because I want to trade in my Torch for $110.00

14. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Log into Sprint and check. A lot of us are/were "grandfathered" into the older plan simply because we signed up before they had this fee.

I think it started around last Spring, give or take, April 2011. If you have a Smartphone, there's a $10 "premium data fee" per applicable line.

They say that the fee is because Smartphones use a lot more data than regular phones, and they're right. But I don't like the way they advertise one price and hit you with a surcharge. That seems to be Sprint's style.

[​IMG]

I upgraded to my iPhone 4S at Best Buy. So they can reset your eligibility for store use, no probs.

15. Binaural thread starter macrumors newbie

I noticed mine has it, never saw it..thanks.

I signed up in June 2010.... what gives?

16. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

Nope, just called my local store and the manager confirmed.

17. mcstorym macrumors newbie

My upgrade is March 1st, as well. I only need to call Sprint on the 18th and they will upgrade my phone on that day?

18. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

Yes. Just call Telesales and they should be able to take care of you over the phone. I was going to do that, but figured I'd just go into a store and get the phone same day.

19. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

If you had a 4g phone prior to this, it was originally the "4g fee", but Sprint changed it to apply to all smartphones after that point.

20. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

I would hold out for the SGS3 if I were you. It will be better than the 4s for sure, and you will have many, many months to try it out until the next iphone eventually comes out late 2012/early 2013

21. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I'm not sure when the extra charge started appearing. But if you signed up and didn't have to pay it, you shouldn't have to pay the $10 fee unless you upgraded your phone.

If you're already paying the $10 fee, you may be better off just upgrading now. This way, 22 months down the road, you can upgrade to what will hopefully be an LTE enabled iPhone. By then, Sprint will hopefully be done rolling out its LTE network.

Good luck with your decision, and let us know what you decided on.