My SSD is full of something I do not not of

manyelski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Hi all, so I got the message my SSD was full and I had no space when I tried to download something, which threw me off because I have pretty much nothing in my SSD (256 GB). It says I have a huge amount of documents, which I do not. Is there a way/app to find out what is going on? Thanks!
MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.5), 2.7 i5, 8 GIGs, 256 SSD, 13'

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Actually there is something better than OmniDiskSweeper:
https://diskwave.barthe.ph

It's small and free.
Just download it and open it.
You'll see what to do next.

TIP: Go to preferences and set normally-invisible files to be made VISIBLE.
Now you can see everything.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Well you have 26gb or so of movies, but that's not unusual if you keep hi-rez movies around (the large file sizes "add up" quickly).
You have 10.5gb of pictures -- again, not unusual, especially if you shoot in large file sizes.
And 8.4gb of music.
There's 7gb of stuff on your desktop (in the desktop folder of your user account).

The only thing that stands out is 26gb of stuff in your user library.
You've got to "go in further" and find out what and where it is.

Reactions: TonyK

Taz Mangus

macrumors 68040
Mar 10, 2011
this helps?
There appears to be some 57GB that is not being shown for the Users folder. According to the first picture you posted it shows that the Users folder is taking up 142.6 and in the User folder, with 2 user accounts the total being used is around 84GB. So there is 57GB that does not show up. I wonder if local snapshots is turned on.

iMi

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2014
When you go to the "about" tap and look under "storage" does it show "backups" that is taking up a lot of space?

Are you using Time Machine?

manyelski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
I am not using timemachine. Where can I find these local snapshots?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 68040
Mar 10, 2011
I am not using timemachine. Where can I find these local snapshots?
If you are not using TimeMachine than there won't be any local snapshots.

Click on "about" tap and look under "storage", what does it show. Post a picture.

Reactions: iMi

Taz Mangus

macrumors 68040
Mar 10, 2011
@FreemanW as far as I know I should not be using 3rd party software on MAC os?
There is not an issue using third party software on a Mac as along as you obtain from a known good location. Most of software in the App Store is third party, its that you know it has been vetted and safe.

Reactions: manyelski

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
All you have to do is use GrandPerspective app.
Run a scan from the root directory on your ssd, and it will show you everything thats taking up space, even hidden files. You will instantly see whats wasting the space.

Reactions: manyelski