My SSD + Optical Bay HDD setup keeps crashing!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SLesslyTall, Apr 6, 2014.

1. SLesslyTall macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I recently bought a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD to upgrade my Mid-2010 Macbook Pro and putting my WD 1TB HDD in the optical drive bay. To achieve the ideal SSD+HDD setup I followed the (user-friendly, but albeit dated) tutorial on this page. The only difference being that I did not create symlinks via terminal, but instead used SymbolicLinker, since I couldn't seem to get his method working.

On the whole, this new setup is pretty awesome, the startup is leagues faster, apps start like they've got something to prove and generally things are good.
    However, at seemingly random points (mostly when I have a number of apps open/operating at once) the app freezes, the spinning-rainbow wait icon appears then the trackpad stops inputting, then eventually the keyboard. Sometimes when left to puzzle it out it starts back up again, but often this takes too long for me to wait. Also, on a possibly related note, when saving a file in-app often the app crashes when I attempt to navigate finder through the save-window, with the main offender seeming to be the desktop.

Also it is worth noting that this is not a problem I ever encountered prior to my current setup, so I suspect I simply have not initialised my system properly during the

Has anyone else ever had any similar problems with their setups or know why this could be happening? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, SLesslyTall

2. JamesPDX macrumors 65816

JamesPDX

WD and SSD and TRIM?

Say, do you think your WD might be going to sleep on you? I've had issues with the "green" WD drives. -They'll sleep no matter your Energy Saver settings. IDK, Between that and the symlink scheme, you may be asking for trouble.