My Stacks Icon in the Dock went "Poof"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tlsullivan, Jul 10, 2009.

1. tlsullivan macrumors newbie

I had happy fingers dragged my Stacks icon that was to the left of the trash to the desktop and it went bye-bye. No biggie, I know what was in there however how to you recreate the blue folder or whatever was originally there?
    Day 14 of my new iMac from Windows and it really is a fun interface. Thanks in advance! -Tammy

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Anything on the dock is just a shortcut (alias) to the folder on your hard drive. So, if you find the folder in finder you want to put on your dock and drag it to the dock it will create a shortcut to the folder there.

3. tlsullivan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, just figured that out ...

I created a blank folder, dragged it to the Stacks space on the doc. However when I deleted the blank folder from the desktop, then the doc stack folder disappeared. I want a generic folder with alias's inside.

4. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Just create and fill the REAL folder, then drag it to the dock. Stack created. If you wish it to be displayed only as a folder and not thumbnails of contents, right click on the stack and choose "Display As: Folder".

5. tlsullivan thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, now I get the doofus award. I don't want to put actual documents in the Stacks folder. Instead I want to put an alias. I have a folder called Recipes in my Documents folder and wanted a shortcut (sorry, hard to break the Windows habit) in the stacks folder. Maybe I cannot do this. I also lost a .pdf document that I had not read yet called about stacks.pdf. I guess I should have read that before it went poof.

6. Jisuo macrumors 6502

uh?

The stacks folder in the dock is just an alias (shortcut), nothing is saved there. Everything is saved in the folder where the stack points to. So drag the Documents folder to the dock and you can access the recipes from the dock.

7. tlsullivan thread starter macrumors newbie