Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaundryCzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Delaware
I understand Apple Music is different and it might be me missing the obvious.
I have eight self-created stations based on bands I enjoy. I see them in iTunes right now, although I haven't updated iTunes today so they may go away. On my iPhone, I see them listed under Recently Played, but nowhere else.
If I listen to suggestions from Apple, will the drop out of Recently Played and if so, how will I find them again?
What is considered recent? Will they drop out regardless if I don't listen to them after two weeks, six weeks, three months?
I created a new station on the iPhone and the new station immediately appeared under Recently Played, but how long will it last?
Thanks for your ideas, thoughts and guesses.

mostman

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
I have this same question. I've gone ahead and started 'curating' one of these stations but I see no obvious way to "Save" the station. Once it rolls off the recents list, I won't be able to come back to it. I have to be missing something obvious.

Just to be clear, I'm trying to do it from iTunes - not the iOS app.

mostman

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
Second look at this - something is clearly not working right. The station names and photos are hyperlink hot spots. Hover over them and they act like links. Click and nothing happens.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I have eight self-created stations based on bands I enjoy. I see them in iTunes right now, although I haven't updated iTunes today so they may go away. On my iPhone, I see them listed under Recently Played, but nowhere else.
If I listen to suggestions from Apple, will the drop out of Recently Played and if so, how will I find them again?

I have this same question. I've gone ahead and started 'curating' one of these stations but I see no obvious way to "Save" the station. Once it rolls off the recents list, I won't be able to come back to it. I have to be missing something obvious.

I have stations in Recently Played dating back to June 2013, when iTunes radio first came out. I also made a whole bunch of stations to see how many can go into recently played and... it never clears out I'm guessing. It looks like it stores every station you play, forever, but I'm not willing to keep creating stations to find how far back it saves. It looks like it'll be a real effort to push them out, if it's even possible.

LaundryCzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Delaware
Mostman, It is the same whether you use the iOS or iTunes. Same problem.
KMJ2318, That is my second concern. Once I listen to any other station, my stations get pushed down or mixed in with every other station I've listened to and may become difficult, or impossible, to find again

This is incentive to NOT try new music.

There must be a way to sort or keep the user created stations separate. I just don't see how.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Can someone explain how to "favorite" an Apple Music curated Playlist? Or even an Apple Music Radio Station?

I can put a "heart" on a song Pandora-style to tailor the styles of said playlists or stations, but I just discovered "Coffee Shop Alternative" (Playlist by Apple Music Alternative) and I like it so how the hell am I supposed to save it somewhere for future access?

I'm a smart guy but aspects of this app make me feel stupid.

BJ

Donoghan

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Can someone explain how to "favorite" an Apple Music curated Playlist? Or even an Apple Music Radio Station?

I can put a "heart" on a song Pandora-style to tailor the styles of said playlists or stations, but I just discovered "Coffee Shop Alternative" (Playlist by Apple Music Alternative) and I like it so how the hell am I supposed to save it somewhere for future access?

BJ

Tap the plus sign to add that playlist to your library. Then it should show up in your playlists tab. You can sort between All Playlists, My Playlists, or Apple Music playlists you've added.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Tap the plus sign to add that playlist to your library. Then it should show up in your playlists tab. You can sort between All Playlists, My Playlists, or Apple Music playlists you've added.

Thanks, but if I do that does it download the actual song files to my device? I don't want anything for offline listening, I just want a shortcut to get back to it when I feel like streaming it.

BJ

Donoghan

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Thanks, but if I do that does it download the actual song files to my device? I don't want anything for offline listening, I just want a shortcut to get back to it when I feel like streaming it.

BJ
No that just adds it to your library. You have to tap the three dots and choose "Make Available Offline" for it to be downloaded to the device.

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015

BJ
Click on the playlist (not the play button). Than hit the + symbol.

LaundryCzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Delaware
Donoghan, that was great. Do you have any thoughts about how to keep and find again, stations that users have made? Stations, not playlists. In other words, if I create a station, it only appears in the Recently Played list. If I then listen to stations created by Apple, for example, my list get shifted down. How long will it stay recent and is there an obvious way I am missing to keep my stations separate?

Donoghan

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Donoghan, that was great. Do you have any thoughts about how to keep and find again, stations that users have made? Stations, not playlists. In other words, if I create a station, it only appears in the Recently Played list. If I then listen to stations created by Apple, for example, my list get shifted down. How long will it stay recent and is there an obvious way I am missing to keep my stations separate?
I haven't found any way to get to them other than Recently Played. It doesn't look like we can edit the list either, so only time will tell how long they live in Recently Played. Certainly not ideal as I would rather be able to edit the list or give more priority to my stations above Beats1 and their featured stations.

LaundryCzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Delaware
Thank you Donoghan.
That makes three voices with the same opinion and that reassures me that it isn't me missing something obvious. I hope they fix this soon, although given all the other quirks I have read about, I'm not holding my breath.
Thank you to all.

Reactions: Donoghan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.