My Stolen iPhone Horror Story

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daverso, Aug 5, 2009.

1. daverso macrumors regular

Here is my iPhone horror story:
    About 2 months ago, right before the 3GS and 3.0 had come out, my iPhone was stolen. For the sake of time I wont go into the details as to how it was stolen, but regardless, it was. Thankfully, I had the money to get a new iPhone. I couldn't live with anything but one. I was very very upset it was stolen, as it was my baby, but also it had very personal things on it - my bank account(mobile banking app) my facebook account(facebook app) personal photos, just run of the mill iPhone stuff that you dont want other people to have. So yeah, my iPhone was stolen... Present day, 2 months down the road, I'm over it. I've forgiven him... that piece of trash jerk (who deserves to rot in hell and be set on fire then have lemon juice and salt poured all over him) who stole my iPhone... And trust me, I'ts a him... I know this all too well as you will soon find out...

this morning I wake up with about the worst wakup call a guy can get. It's my girlfriend asking me why i had sent her a message calling her a fat b*** in a facebook message(sent 4 AM) last night, and why my profile picture was set to a picture of a dudes dangly ballsack, and why my status said "i love c**k." I thought, man, my jerk friends really crossed the line this time. I got onto my facebook and saw so much more than just this had happened. This masked destroyer of my life had replied to everyone that had recently sent me a message on facebook saying terrible things... If i got a message from you in the past 2 weeks, he sent a dickhead comment back... This is including a message from my boss showing a video of his kids, sent to all of my other bosses, co-workers, friends of my boss, and bosses kids(FML)... My evil alter ego responded to this message calling everyone on thread very very VERY bad things... After some investigation, the strangest part, i noticed, was... it was all sent from a mobile device! And the picture of the dudes nuts -- it was in iPhone photo format. Now i'm very careful about my passwords and whatnot... I dont even let my girlfriend of 3 years know my password. I know the only way anyone could have got on my account was through my old iPhone. I have spent the last 3 1/2 hours trying to do damage control, changing my password, telling everyone "I'm so sorry, that wasn't me, it was a terrible person who did this to me... Please don't fire me etc etc..."

My only question is, is this a possibility, is my phone, aside from making calls and using the internet, still everything that is great about an iphone after its reported as stolen and deactivated? Does it just turn into a glorified chrome bezeled iPod Touch? I'm 99.9 percent positive this is what happened... But that little .1% is me wanting to believe that the iPhone isn't functional after it's deactivated(as it should be)

On a side note: Heres to the end of my life... I had a great run, but I think facebook "me" calling my boss a "supid piece of s***" in front of his kids will probably be the end of me. Bye bye job security...

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If your iPhone was stolen 2 months ago, why have you not changed your Facebook password (and any other services)?

They probably just replaced the SIM card and can use the iPhone in full I'm guessing.

3. jmitch150 macrumors regular

jmitch150

4. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

That totally sucks. But I'm going to probably piss you off with what I am about to ask.

But if your iPhone was stolen WHY WHY WHY didn't you go in and change your passwords for your apps etc? WHY didn't you tell ATT they could have deactivated your sim therefore locking him out?

It's like losing your wallet you gotta call bank tell them it was lost/stolen you just don't let some idiot take all your money.

5. daverso thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, its been one of those 'DOH moments for me. I guess i figured some lucky guy was just going to take it to an AT&T store, say hey I bought this from a friend, set me up an account, and that would be the end of it... Guess i was wrong. I totally should have taken that extra step and changed my facebook password...

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

That sucks man. Sorry to hear about your luck. I'm sure after a sincere explanation, your boss will be ok with it.

But ya, change all your passwords next time and put a lock on any smartphone you own in the future.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wait ... you don't let your gf of 3 years know your password and yet you wait 2 months to change the passwords? :confused:

Damage control should have taken place the day your phone was stolen. If you could not remote wipe (as of July I thought you could but this apparently occurred prior to) then you should have been online that day changing every password and notifying the people who mattered most. IE: Your boss, who you're apparently facebook friends with (which I doubt I'd ever do myself), alongside your close friends and family. And if you have facebook and it is that important then perhaps a blurb on there about the stolen phone 2 months ago and how your life is over (melodramatic), etc etc. But even still, 2 months ago if you had done what you were supposed to do AND you bothered to tell people what was on the phone and what is possibly at risk then this "horror story" could not have happened IMHO.

Exactly.

And the mere fact you're more concerned about your facebook password over your banking details tells me you're not all together with it at this point. Someone calling my boss a name on facebook pales in comparison to my cash being stolen. If you have such a relationship with your boss then he or she should understand.

8. Undecided macrumors 6502a

Yes, it is still very much functional and all your data on it, including things you deleted, going back pretty far, are easily accessible with freely available tools. This is true with all versions of the iPhone and the OS. Requiring a passcode to unlock the phone is easily bypassed.

So, as soon as your security was compromised, you should have changed every single password. You do use FileVault on any laptops you have, right?

As for the fallout, yeah, that sucks. All you can do is hope that all your prior behavior would make it obvious to anyone that you would not have done these things.

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Please explain.

10. daverso thread starter macrumors regular

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but thanks very much for stating the obvious in as rude of a way as possible. It's what I've come to expect from this forum.

And honestly, had I not taken care of the bank situation, that would have been the main focus of my horror story. Obviously I put more priority on locking down my finances than I did my facebook account. I just didn't mention it because it was somewhat understood. Quit thinking you're the only person with a brain, stop looking for every possible way to make someone looks stupid, and actually contribute to the conversation. HONESTLY read your post and ask yourself, did I say anything that wasn't in some way rude or aimed at making this person feel like they're dumb. I think you'll find the answer is no.

Lady, my phone was stolen and very bad things happened as a result. If i wanted someone to make me feel dumb about it I'd call my mother.

11. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

It's a cell phone there are tons of tools on the web that can show you how to acomplish this.

Secondly while it is good to have it there (it's just an extra wall doesn't mean the wall can't be broken down.) you gotta be prepared to take every step needed.

Had he changed his passwords to everything after it was stolen. He wouldn't be in the predicament he is now. Sucks completely but I think he probably learned his lesson.

12. cap'njack macrumors member

Best quote ever!!!

I really feel for you...tbh changing my Facebook password probably wouldn't have been the first thing that I did, I'd have thought that by informing my phone company that the phone was stolen would have rendered it useless.

13. daverso thread starter macrumors regular

Totally. The main thing was, I just sort of threw facebook aside. I took care of the bank situation, made it to where they could never get in, and a few other things too... The facebook issue was a combination of disregard, and lack of care. I basically forgot about it because when put next to something like my finances, it pales in comparison as far as importance goes. Unfortunately, my job requires me to become facebook friends with my boss, and if you don't have a facebook, you have to make one. It makes sense in the line of work I'm in I promise. The thought never occurred to me that months down the road the people who stole my phone could royally screw me. Lesson learned, eh...

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

... uh, what?

That doesn't really explain how having a passcode on your iPhone still allows people to have access to your information.

Sure, they can format your phone and use it if they like, but I'm still confused as to how a passcode doesn't help protect your info.

15. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

very unfortunate and thanks for posting it as a warning to others. @ the rest - give the guy a break he's here for some support not a bashing :rolleyes:

16. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

I don't think it would be necessary/allowed to detail this in the forum, a quick search will highlight how easy it is. Yes it's a basic form of defense but not impregnable, just like an of the passwords, ever :)

17. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'm sure in the interest of iPhone security, and perfectly on-topic with the OP, you could describe what you're talking about.

I just find it weird it how you said "it's just a cell phone" when the iPhone doesn't mount to a computer like any old cell phone.

Are you talking about SSHing into it? Isn't that still protected by the passcode?

18. Undecided macrumors 6502a

No, there are tools floating around that would let someone get around it and access all your data. Even the "encrypted" backups. Here's a video. It's still worth having it to prevent the casual snooper, but that's about it.

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Gawwwww, I would be on the next Southwest flight to nowhere! If they could make your situation into the next "Want To Get Away" SWA commercial, I'm certain many others would get a clue to safeguard their lives once their iPhone is lost or stolen.....:eek:

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I get that your angry but frankly, I am not alone here in my thoughts. However, I am probably your best target so I'm here if you need to lash out more.

I think it will all blow over but what do I know?
    Good luck with this buddy.

21. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Oh wow ... talk about a major edit.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL I read and re-read ... and simply put, there is nothing in there that I believe is violation of these forum rules, but I'd like not to send the kid over the edge. Ergo, major edit. I have the post on a text pad. We'll call this day the day that Jessica began her own personal wasteland. :D

Thanks for not quoting the OP prior to the edit. ;)

23. throwbookatface macrumors member

Man, people are being jerks on this forum, lol. Give the guy a break - he took appropriate measures on 90% of what's important. Let it be a warning to everyone to just cancel their service immediately and change ALL passwords.

24. daverso thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, the biggest mistake I made was coming across as satyrical during my OP to try to lighten up my own mood... It seems by doing so I cause people to think of me as an idiot instead of a person who actually took most of the right steps aside from probably the least important one. Bleh, life goes on. :cool:

25. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

http://www.zdziarski.com/papers/passcode.html

It's a touch old and I am not sure if it's still needed given redsn0w but it could be done. I have an old iPhone 3G at my apt, I guess I should try this all out when I got some spare time. :)

Heck, depending on users version of firmware certain info can be gathered using the "Emergency Call" flaw:
    http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/iphone/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210201068