My Student Film

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ezkimo, Jan 24, 2008.

1. ezkimo macrumors regular

Hi.
    I put a link to my student film project below. I'm a graphic design student and this is my first little foray into film.

It's still on the rough side but you'll get the idea. You're welcome to be as harsh as you like.
    :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kGHTzS9CrA

2. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Pretty good stuff!

I like the concept of it, very unique and visually attractive.
    The only things I found an issue with it were the overly long black spaces in between cuts (they quickly became frustrating), along with a scene being just too dark to properly see (starts at 3:20).

Other than those little things, I liked it.
    Makes you think, cinematography was very well done.
    The intro lighting effects were very nice (lightning).
    Music fit very well.

Good job, keep it up!

3. coneman5259 macrumors member

coneman5259

what did you shoot it with and what did you edit it with? Thanks

4. ezkimo thread starter macrumors regular

Shot it on a Sony HVR-Z1U and edited with Final Cut Pro, Motion and as small amount of After Effects. What did you think of it?

5. SamJ macrumors member

wow. nice work. Great Bjork intro soundtrack. I agree about the black cuts between shots but other than that, really well done.

What were the other two songs used starting from about 2:29?

6. andy.barron macrumors 6502

I thought it was great.

You have a really exciting future ahead of you:)

7. ezkimo thread starter macrumors regular

The first one is We Were Sparkling by My Brightest Diamond, and the second is the last third of Breathe Me by Sia, but edited to fit the length needed.

8. coneman5259 macrumors member

coneman5259

I really liked it, I enjoyed the fast motion at the end kind of sets up a tone for an outro.

9. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

Very nice cinematography. That focus pull from the branch to those trees in the forest... OMG :eek:

However, I'm not so positive about the structure of the film. You didn't really give enough clues as to what was going on until the film was nearly over, which is forgivable for a film so short but very bad if you are doing something longer. Also, the story was too frenetic. To properly set up backstory you need to make it more accessible, and while I understand the need within the movie to create the disorienting effect you did with the 'flashback' parts, you should have figured out a way to make it more understandable. This is a bigger problem because the film is non-linear, which creates even more confusion. Early on in the movie you should try to establish more of a story.

My final criticism has to do with the ending. I didn't like how the backstory was rushed in in about 30 (?) seconds. While the editing was stellar, it felt less atmospheric and more expository then necessary. This is more of a personal opinion, though..

The impression I get from this film is that you're focusing more on the eye-candy aspect. DON'T DO THIS! It can easily wreck a film (Trust me, I used to do it ALL THE TIME). When it comes down to facts, what carries a movie is it's characters and storyline.

(Sorry if I came across as overly tough, it's just that I think that this movie isn't as good as it could be - that doesn't mean it's a bad movie though. It's definitely one of the best student films I've seen so far. If my post seemed overly negative, it is probably because i've been focusing on every single minor detail that could be improved, not because the film was terrible.)

Hope this helps..

10. ezkimo thread starter macrumors regular

No, not too tough at all. I really appreciate it. How can somebody progress without criticism?

I agree that the plot was lacking in its cohesion, and that the structure could be improved. I'm a print media and installation artist, so this story over time thing is new to me. I've started thinking about new material, and your thoughts help a good deal. My installations are generally open to interpretation when it comes to meaning and I'd like to carry that over into video projects, its just a matter of finding a point where you give enough but not too much.

When I watch it now I see a lot that could be improved, but I had a relatively short time frame.

Thanks for your comments. I'll post my new work once I've completed it (which will probably be a while).

11. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

That's exactly it :). I'm glad to hear you've already got new stuff planned. After seeing this movie I'm sure it will be fantastic!

12. ercw macrumors regular

very nice!.
    would you mind sharing the Export settings you use to make it look so good on youtube?

Thanks

Eric

13. ezkimo thread starter macrumors regular

Well, when I put it on youtube it was from a computer that didn't have the project files on it. As I recall, I used Handbrake to convert a DVD VIDEO_TS file to a .mp4 with the default settings. I attached an image of the handbrake window if they happen to not be the defaults.

As for putting it on the DVD, I used compressor and have no idea what the settings were as it was a good while ago.

Attached Files: