Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
My Stuffit Expander is dead and I have no idea why. I've tried: reinstalling, repairing permissions, and clearing preferences. All to no avail. My previously broken stuffit was v. 8 and in reinstalling, I've upgraded to the free v. 9. All of this is on the G5 in my sig.

Thanks in advance :)

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I thought mine was to because it just keeps bouncing on the doc and eventualy stops. It did open eventualy, after a few minutes and I had done everything you had to try and fix it. It is better now but still takes 5-10 bounces to open, what is going on here?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Maya, do you mean you have automatic version checking turned *off*? I had this issue and turning it off solved it. There are a couple of threads surrounding that, although it may not be the issue here.... Auto version checking is in the preferences.

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
Yep, I've got Stuffit v9.0 as well and as you would guess, it is dead. I think it started happening after I installed the update for Panther 10.3.7 but I'm not certain.

Anybody have any clues? I can run Stuffit 9.0 by itself (launch via quicksilver) and it comes right up. The problems start happening when a download needs unpacked.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
WOW, I just turned off automatic version checking and it opened in a half bounce. Totaly did the trick, thanks. Allume needs to fix that feature, unacceptable to make it that slow.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
yippy said:
WOW, I just turned off automatic version checking and it opened in a half bounce. Totaly did the trick, thanks. Allume needs to fix that feature, unacceptable to make it that slow.

Hey! Where's that setting?

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
Blackheart said:
Hey! Where's that setting?

Nevermind, I found it. I was kinda at a loss because I never actually got it to start up all the way and I was curious how I was going to change the preference if it never started up. However, if I wait oh so long, it starts up.

Thanks for your responses everyone. You're all very quick to help! :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The problem with all the Stuffit products is that they go out and check the aladdin.com website for updates as soon as they open. But the company was sold to Allume, and this past weekend they moved the website. Doh!

So stuffit has a brain seizure trying to connect to the non-existent page.
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050110003819530

The short answer as mentioned by Yippy is to disable check for updates. Assuming you can get the program to open. of course. There is a Terminal-based fix in the article as well.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
mkrishnan said:
Maya, do you mean you have automatic version checking turned *off*? I had this issue and turning it off solved it. There are a couple of threads surrounding that, although it may not be the issue here.... Auto version checking is in the preferences.

"Stuffit AVR" = Stuffit Archive Via Rename

That is turned on and I love it.

without it, I am having the same problems as the rest, with this turned ON I seem to have found a temp solution. :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I was having the exact same issue as the rest of you. Turning off the Automatic Version Checking fixed it - now it opens almost immediately instead of in 20 or so bounces.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
mkrishnan said:
Oooh, what does it do? I don't seem to have such an option. :(
If I remember correctly, you change a file's extension to .sit (or .sitx) and Stuffit automatically compresses it right there and then. I don't know if it works with .zip and other archives too.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
wrldwzrd89 said:
If I remember correctly, you change a file's extension to .sit (or .sitx) and Stuffit automatically compresses it right there and then. I don't know if it works with .zip and other archives too.

File extensions supported by Stuffit AVR:

.sitx, .sit, .sea, .zip, .tar, .lha, lzh, .hqx, .bin, .uu, .bz2, .tbz, .gz, .tgz, .Z, .taz

That is the list. :)

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
YS2003 said:
The free version of StuffIt (9.0.1 and 9.0.2 update) is working well with my 12" PB + Tiger. I just used Stuffit to decompress the downloaded files.

Yeah stuffit expander works, but it does not automatically expand after you download a .sit file. Anyone figured out how to fix this??

aussie_geek

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
aussie_geek said:
Yeah stuffit expander works, but it does not automatically expand after you download a .sit file. Anyone figured out how to fix this??

aussie_geek

When I donwload .sit file to the desktop, I double click on it and StaffIt Expander just opens it. I think that is almost automatic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.