My Stupid Unibody Macbook Pro :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by insainet, Dec 2, 2008.

1. insainet macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have purchased my MBP for around 1 month, at first everything seemed fine, it ran well, no problems. But after like a week I kept receiving Kernel Panic at least 2 times a day. So I did reinstall it couple of times by using the Mac DVD, I also make sure I did zero out the free space and stuff. Guess what, the Kernel Panics kept coming back again. Either when I use Opera, Itunes, Finder, or just randomly when I was copying files.

Well, it's not least, I also did install Windows Vista Home Premium under boot camp, and receive BSOD everytime I use it, if it's not about the Driver_IRQL_LESS_EQUAl_To, then it is about the Page_Non_Page thing, or random errors.

I am really pissed, therefore today I made my way to the apple store to see if they can fix it but after testing, no errors were found. I mean, what the hell, it's not my fault ! So they told me to call Apple care to see if I can replace it. The Apple Care guy told me to reinstall Mac OS X, if the Kernel Panic happens again then email him. Well, I did actually have to email him since I again received 2 Kernel Panics after reinstalling, one when I was updating softwares, one when I added my music library to itunes.

Has anyone ever have a lot of troubles with the MBP like me ? Seriously, I'm really disappointed, looking at my friend's MBP runs flawlessly just make me want to break mine apart :(

2. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

What external accessories do you have attached to your comp? More often than not kernel panics results from some hardware that does not play nice with the computer. Did the panics start happening right after you reinstalled the OS, without downloading anything else?

3. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Things break, they should replace yours, even in the store, they've done it for me, they can do it for you.

4. insainet thread starter macrumors newbie

I remember plugging my external hard driver when I got the first kernel panic after reinstall, so I thought that could be the problem and I unplugged it, in the next few minutes, another occured as I wrote before.

The first panic is when I was downloaading the software updates for Mac OS X 105.5

5. insainet thread starter macrumors newbie

What was your MBP problem before ? How did they fix it ? Thanks !!! :eek:

6. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Issues with other machines, BlackBook's, optical drive/screen/kernel panics, all got resolved quickly and under warranty, but they messed up the machines more after repairing what they were supposed to, so they offered to replace them for me.

I've got no issues at all with my Unibody MBP, it's perfect; ok well a little spotty from fingers, but that's cause I haven't cleaned it.

7. insainet thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG, I am also having troubles with the screen (the weak hinge to be exact) and the optical drive. Everytime I keep a DVD in the drive and move the laptop, there will be a tickling sound like the DVD got scratched into something.

I hope the Apple Care guy will reply me tomorrow, he told me the problem could be due to my GPU processor. Hopefully, everything will be sorted :(

8. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Well there's nothing that ties my issues to yours... they were totally different machines at totally different times with totally different owners...?

AppleCare takes care of you, don't worry, let them do their thing, you don't have to complain about the issue before they've had their chance to set things right.

9. tslewis macrumors member

Ive had a lot of problems with mine - I wont go in to them but you can back track form the "mcCrap" post form last night.

I simply had enough after it suddenly playing it after I bought a brand new LED. I spent the whole week end reinstalling oS and trying to isntall Vista but when the DVD gave up Monday evening so I couldnt install Office after I had just spent 3 hours installing XP it was time to demand a replacment. I need reliability for a PRO computer and I had lost all confidence in the machine.

To be fair, Apple have been very good today and have verbally offered me a brand new replacement. Fingers crossed that I will get the official line soon. I will still have to wait 10 days before I recieve the replacement during which time the LED will be gathering dust as it can only be used with the MBP.

Personally, I would demand a replacment after spending so much cash on it

cheers

10. flottenheimer macrumors 65816

flottenheimer

Your machine is broken. Return it.
    Have it fixed or get a new one.

11. The Red Wolf macrumors regular

The Red Wolf

Ram

From what you're describing it sounds RAM related. Replacing defective RAM would be very simple rather than going through the hassle of getting the machine replaced. I would suggest it with support either by phone or in an Apple Store.

12. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

There's no evidence pointing directly to this being the problem, but I think you're right. If it was panicing from the get go I would say it was a peripheral or some component of the logic board. Since the problem is belated, it seems more likely some RAM became slightly unseated somehow. Very frequent kernel panics like this are usually the RAM, in my experience, anyway. To the OP, try removing and reinstalling the RAM chips; it's not difficult on these. Swapping RAM, as was suggested, would be the next step in my opinion if you have some extra, otherwise have Apple do it.