My stupidity had momentarily rendered me an idiot.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by ashman70, Aug 9, 2012.

1. ashman70, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

ashman70 macrumors 6502a

2. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

sounds like you should just go back to iOS 5

3. StefSSU macrumors regular

It seems like an issue with the beta, yes. Glad you submitted a bug report. Speaking as someone who is also running the beta on my primary phone (however as a student I am not nearly as reliant upon it as you are), now you know better. It's just not worth the risk using untested software on a work device, even a primary device as important as a cellular phone.

I'm sure you've learnt your lesson though. On a hopefully more helpful note, you do have the option of reverting to iOS 5.1.1. I believe you should be able to accomplish this by either finding the firmware online somewhere (not sure you can download it from the dev center) and restoring. You may also be able to simply restore via iTunes, but you may be required to enter DFU mode beforehand for this to work. One problem, is backing up your data. If I were you I'd try backing up to both iCloud and iTunes before attempting any restore, and I wouldn't count on being able to restore from your backup upon reverting firmware.

Another option is to simply keep using beta 3. Yes, it will expire in about 2 weeks, but this should give you time to prepare for either running beta 4 or reverting back to 5.1.1. Good luck.

4. ashman70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can't downgrade a device to a previous iOS version once you have loaded an iOS beta on it, so I can't even do that.

5. garybUK Guest

garybUK

You can downgrade, by manually downloading the iOS 5.1 IPSW file, and option-clicking the restore button in iTunes and selecting the file.

I currently have two Exchange + iCloud syncing calendars, contacts & mail back to unlimited on both Exchange accounts and am able to use everything fine? what version of Exchange are you on? 2007 + 2010 here.

6. ashman70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok well I may have to do that then. My exchange server is 2010 no SP. What is your email message sync days set to? In my case it was 30 days and I changed it to unlimited which caused the whole problem. It was working fine for me as well.

Do you feel like taking a chance and deleting one of your exchange accounts and seeing if you can add it back? Might not be worth if for you if it doesn't work though, you'll be in the same boat as me.

----------

Thanks, I would continue using beta 3 but I never downloaded the the file and only upgraded OTA, so I don't have the beta 3 file and you can't download it anywhere anyway. In terms of learning my 'lesson' as I stated in my post, I am aware of the risks inherent in running betas, of course, they have just been very solid and I never expected something as essential as mail would get broken in a fourth beta release, my mistake.

7. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

On another note, You can DFU restore in iTunes and it will let you downgrade to 5.1.1 (without having to go somewhere else and downloading the ipsw)

Hope you get everything cleared up!

8. ashman70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will try and downgrade to iOS 5.1.1 shortly, however I did just see this in the Dev center.

"Devices updated to iOS 6 beta can not be restored to earlier versions of iOS"

Not sure if this refers to previous beta versions only though.

9. ashman70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Works now

Ok I confess I'm an idiot, turns out it was my firewall combined with my stupidity that was causing the problem, not a bug in iOS 6 beta :eek: