My switch from the Mac Pro to the MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Glenn Wolsey, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

To sum it up in one simple sentence, I’ve sold my mac pro and am making the move to a much more mobile setup.

A few weeks back I was all set to purchase the MacBook Pro as an addition to my main office setup comprising of the Mac Pro, when I stumbled across an auction for a Power Mac Quad on TradeMe - a New Zealand specific eBay like site.

The Power Mac Quad had just sold for an obscene amount of money in my eyes, over $4,500 USD. I was absolutely stunned at the willingness people has to pay top dollar for a machine running on the PPC architecture.

Right then and there, I made an impulse decision for a bit of fun to list my Mac Pro for sale with a reserve price $500 higher than it would cost for me to build the whole setup again. The auction outreached its reserve of $5,800 NZD reaching $7,300 NZD ($5,600 USD) in the last few minutes of bidding.

Effectively, I was paid over $1,500 USD to use a state of the art Mac Pro for 5 months. Not a bad deal in my eyes.

The plan was to replace it with a brand new Mac Pro when Apple started to include the new Intel Penryn 45nm processors in the machine, but I’ve decided to take another path..

I ordered a MacBook Pro which turned up yesterday. The extra RAM (4GB) from OWC will be here later next week. The difference of this machine compared to the Mac Pro for day to day tasks is not as big as people make it out to be - editing HD video is still a breeze - I love my new portable machine.

MacBook Pro 15.4″. 2.4Ghz. 4GB RAM. 160GB 5400RPM HDD.

I would have liked to purchase with the new 2.6Ghz Core 2 Duo processor and the 250GB 5400RPM HDD, though it would have delayed proceedings by 2-3 weeks.

I think I will find myself constantly swapping out this MacBook Pro for newer models as Intel in partnership with Apple make the move toward Quad Core notebooks in late 2008.
    My setup will now comprise of the MacBook Pro, a 30″ Apple Cinema Display, and additionally, a large chunk of money has been placed into long term savings. Can anyone recommend a good 1TB external HDD, I’m in the market for one now.

For some strange reason I’m overwhelmed with a sense of freedom, something I haven’t experienced in a very, very long time.

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Woah! Thats pretty insane, good bit of business there.

Sorta makes me want to put mine on Trade Me. Except that I avoid TM like the plague.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Get ready for the regular roar of jet engines if you plan on keeping the MBP in clamshell mode. I went this way with a 30", and life had been unbearably noisy ever since.

4. Glenn Wolsey thread starter macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

With the 30" I'l be using it open. But truth be told, I haven't touched the 30" in 24 hours since getting this machine. I really love portability. Something tells me the 30" will get limited use in the near future.

5. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

6. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Glenn, when are you going to post new setup pictures?

As much as I loved your setup with the Pro, I think it'll look even better with the MBP, must see!

7. gojaromeiginla macrumors member

Seagate makes a good line of 500 GB external hard drives that work with both USB and Firewire. I know that's not 1 TB, but I'd highly recommend a Seagate. You could always get two if you needed a TB that badly.

8. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Wow, Glenn seems to be a man of never-ending talents. I'm glad that it worked out for you. But I have to wonder what the buyer was thinking..

9. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

You have eye for business.i must say:)
    i was wondering who would buy at that price...
    (maybe they couldent take the wait for an order from applestore).No wonder why apple makes money:)..
    "good riddance"..