My syslogd is broken - fixed, finally

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wrldwzrd89, Jul 6, 2008.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Every time I try to view a log database query in Console, I get a message in system.log saying that syslogd exited abnormally, and a crash log was created for this event.

I'm downloading the 10.5.4 combo updater, and am going to try reapplying it to see if the problem goes away. Anyone know what might be causing this?

Some history of what's recently happened:
    I was copying a whole bunch of disks to my computer when Time Machine got stuck at 4.7 GB and wouldn't back up any further. I ended up having to "hard restart" the computer - that's when this problem started.

EDIT: This problem's finally fixed. Turns out the cause was filesystem corruption that Disk Utility couldn't detect.

2. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Applying the update again didn't help, so I tried something else. I suspect that something got corrupted on my external Time Machine disk, so I reformatted it, thinking that might help. It didn't - so something much more serious is going on. I'm not quite sure what at this point.

3. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Gave up and wiped the system clean, then reinstalled Mac OS X. The problem seems to have gone away... let's hope it stays that way after I reinstall software and apply updates.