My System Log - KERNEL error

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pvellacott, Aug 8, 2007.

1. pvellacott macrumors newbie

I am not massively computer literate, and I have lost my MAC system disk, I am running 10.3.9.

I have seen this on the site before, but don't understand it. I get the gray curtain thing, and then the box with all the languages. This happens, if you leave the computer, with the Internet connected and then wake the computer from the Sleep mode.

If I buy a new Operating Package / Disc - will the same problem not still exist with my Speedtouch USB modem. I have enclosed a brief bit from my 69 Page system log, to see if that helps anyone help me.

Cheers guys and inspire me with your wisdom and tell me I don't need to buy a new computer.

Hardware Overview:

Machine Model: iMac
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.25 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
    Memory: 512 MB
    Bus Speed: 167 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.7.8f1
    Serial Number: W84110TGQB7

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.9 (7W98)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 7.9.0
    Boot Volume: Mac 9
    Computer Name: Mac9
    User Name: Administrator (admin)

System Bit:

System Log:

Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: SpeedTouchUDSLUSB -CRITICAL- Power going down, start dying gasp thread
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: SpeedTouchUDSLUSB -CRITICAL- Starting ::THMM_UDSLUSB_startDyingGaspThread
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: SpeedTouchUDSLUSB -CRITICAL- Entering ::setPowerState (powerStateOrdinal 0x0)
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: SpeedTouchUDSLUSB -CRITICAL- Driver power state: suspended
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: SpeedTouchUDSLUSB -CRITICAL- Entering ::powerStateDidChangeTo
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: SpeedTouchUDSLUSB -CRITICAL- MCCI_UDSLUSB_ConfigureDevice: Halting device access...
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: SpeedTouchUDSLUSB -CRITICAL- Leaving ::THMM_UDSLUSB_startDyingGaspThread
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: System Sleep
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: System Wake
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: Wake event 0020
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: AppleNMI unmask NMI
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: SpeedTouchUDSLUSB -CRITICAL- Entering ::powerStateWillChangeTo (stateNumber 1) capabilities = 32768
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: SpeedTouchUDSLUSB -CRITICAL- Entering ::setPowerState (powerStateOrdinal 0x1)
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: SpeedTouchUDSLUSB -CRITICAL- Driver power state: powered
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: SpeedTouchUDSLUSB -CRITICAL- MCCI_UDSLUSB_ConfigureDevice: Halting device access...
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: SpeedTouchUDSLUSB -CRITICAL- Entering MCCI_UDSLUSB_ResetDevice
    Aug 3 08:47:24 Mac9 kernel: SpeedTouchUDSLUSB -CRITICAL- Entering ::powerStateDidChangeTo

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

1. Is the kernel panic reproducible?
    2. What, if anything, is plugged into the USB ports?

3. pvellacott thread starter macrumors newbie

I only have the modem and the keyboard connected to the keyboard, and my mouse and printer connected to the USB's on the keyboard.

On the spare USB port on the computer I use either my digital camera and or my Memory Stick.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Disconnect everything you are able, especially the modem, and leave them disconnected until either the kernel panic reoccur or it doesn't, and you are satisfied that it is related to something connected to the USB ports. This is why I asked about reproducibility.

5. pvellacott thread starter macrumors newbie

It must be the modem, as nothing happens when it is all disconnected. So....a reinstall????

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't see how a reinstall could help. This appears to be a hardware issue, either with the modem, the cable, or the USB ports.