My system preferences keep resetting. Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ClassicBean, Nov 13, 2008.

1. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Hey everybody, looking to solve an annoying issue I'm having. Every time I restart my iMac, my desktop wallpaper reverts back to the default and my mouse configuration is reset so the buttons no longer do what I demand of them (Button4: Expose, I say!)

It seems to be just those two issues but it happens pretty much every time the system shuts down (although not every single time). Energy saving is fine. My dock is fine. Nothing else seems to be touched.

I've reset the PRAM. I've deleted the system preferences file from the library (com.apple.systempreferences...). I've repaired permissions.

I still have this problem.

Any ideas or solutions, aside from reinstalling OS X or not restarting my iMac ever?

I should mention that I'm running 10.5.5 on an Aluminum 2.0 Core 2 Duo Intel iMac. My system is all-natural. No fancy hacks or system modification programs installed here.

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I would check the permissions of your Library and Preferences folder to make sure that you have write-access to both of those. I'm not sure, but I don't think that the Repair Permissions function will repair anything outside of system-related files.

3. ClassicBean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestion, but it turns out I do have read/write privileges. Any other ideas?

4. geekgirl macrumors regular

You didn't happen to change the short name of the user account, did you? I seem to recall that this was one cause of this type of behavior. Another was a lack of hard drive space... Just a thought...