My T key fell off my Retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ronniebra, Mar 3, 2016.

1. ronniebra macrumors newbie

Earlier today, my "T" key popped off! Now, I have extended warranty, but I'm not in a country where there are Apple stores. It's a late 13 MBPr, with key mechanisms that look like this: [​IMG]

Now, I watched this video:

and when he latches the bottom portion, he then pushes on the top portion and there's a click, which is non existant on mine. I then put the "T" back on, and it's very wobby and comes right back off. Anyone have any advice? I don't want to spend $10 on a replacement mechanism when I'm not sure that's the reason.

2. Jozone macrumors 6502

Could you photograph the connector on the keyboard? Are you sure none of the metal brackets are bent? (This is somewhat common, and still easy to fix)

3. ronniebra thread starter macrumors newbie

@Jozone Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Really appreciate the help!

4. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

5. ronniebra thread starter macrumors newbie

6. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

The replacements on that site also come with the metal hinge clips. It is a full replacement kit.

7. ronniebra thread starter macrumors newbie

I meant the actual holder on the laptop itself if that makes any sense. So bummed out right now :(

8. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

Take it to an Apple Store, they replaced a key on my machine for free and did it for me.

9. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

The OP is not in a country where there are Apple Stores. Still, there may be authorized service providers in the area, I'd do some digging around on the web before chalking it up to a loss.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

Did you even bother to read the very first sentence of the OP? He specifically stated that he was not in a country where there are Apple Stores. The very first sentence.

11. ronniebra thread starter macrumors newbie

For anyone that will read this in the future, I ended up ordering a replacement plastic mechanism from the ebay seller the_macbook_pro. (cheaper than other options) It arrived in a week and 2 days (from the day I hit "Buy it Now") and it worked! My T key is sitting where it's supposed to be without popping out!

12. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

Glad you got it sorted man!

13. Davelfc macrumors member

Davelfc

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

No he didn't read it very carefully. His old eyes need a new read-proof technology with 100% accurate.