My Tablet Concept

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rainmanbk, Nov 16, 2009.

1. rainmanbk macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

[​IMG]
    [UPDATE]
    [Version 3]
    Ok well some people thought it was starting to look too generic, which I can agree with. I've tried a new approach, slightly. Some problems with the port placements have stopped me for the moment, but I'll tackle this sometime soon and see if I can work them out. Thanks for the criticism!

[Version 2]
    Here is an updated version with a few of the suggestions posted, and a few modifications I thought were necessary. I also included some theoretical specifications. Let's keep going! : )

Version 2

[Version 1]
    This is my concept of what an apple tablet might look like. This was just for fun. What do you guys think, agree with, disagree with.

Personally I feel that it will run full OS X and therefore I have put the necessary ports. I have also included a volume rocker and a dock connector. Lets see some other depictions from the creatives out there? :)

Version 1

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    The one thing that none of these mockups can answer, is how are we gonna use this thing on a table? :) I wanna know that.

4. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

You could put this one on a stand (vertical) and plug in a keyboard and mouse... but then I've got a MB for that.

5. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Or how about something like this?

6. rainmanbk thread starter macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

Hmm.. I opted to make it slightly thicker than other concepts I've seen because that's what makes them seem like concepts and out of the realm of possibility. To answer the other question, I was thinking maybe 8.9" maybe 9-10". I don't think it would be bigger than that. Also the reason I put a dock connecter, other than to probably sync it with a mac, is for some sort of dock. It would most likely just be an apple wireless keyboard with a slot for the tablet to fit. Then again that might be the sort of thing apple wouldn't develop themselves..

I'm not sure, people always ask, well how do i do this, or do that, to make it the same experience as a macbook.. but maybe that's the wrong question? It's not supposed to be this or that so if you're trying to use it that way, you're missing the mark? Not to say it shouldn't be able to be used in more ways than just 'in your hands' or 'on your lap'. :confused:

7. cmaier macrumors G3

+1

8. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

uuaschbaer

Looks rightly thick. Remember it'll likely be a cheapish product.

9. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Well, I like it! I think it looks nice and sturdy and it's exactly like how I've been picturing it.

10. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

nice, but you may want to rethink the back use of curved glass - fragile.

11. rainmanbk thread starter macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

Hmm.. What do you mean by back use? Are you mistaking the front for the back? The front is curved because I felt like it would be more comfortable in your hands.

12. rebeccamartin macrumors member

hi
    looks nice, and reliable. but i wonder how to put all these together and to use it on a table:confused::confused::confused:

13. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

That looks really good, very nice mockup. It actually looks like a product I would consider. Does it come with a stylus? If so, where does it go? If not... why not!? :D

14. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Looks realistic. The curved edges for comfort are a nice touch and pay homage to all of us who think they MBP sharp edges are a bit much. I would say however a flat panel of glass with the case curving at the edges to meet it is more realistic from an engineering view.

I think a tablet with a dock and keyboard/mouse combo would be sweet.

15. rainmanbk thread starter macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

Haha! how silly I did want to incorporate one and I forgot to.. I'll try to update the mockup a little later to include that and a few alternate ideas.

This makes a lot of sense, and I will mock up a version with that change as well.. I must say I do like the look of an all black face on the device. It gives the impression that all you're seeing is your content, the stuff you want to see, etc.

16. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I guess it is okay. I have one major problem with all of these tablet concepts or mockups - unless Ive and Jobs decide to usher in a completely new aesthetic philosophy with a tablet, it's pretty clear there will be glass; aluminum and/or plastic; and minimal i/o.

The real concept that needs to be thought out is exactly what the device will actually do and interact with the user.

17. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Yeah I like the black bezel look too. You could still incorporate it with either a separate curved bezel piece that connects the body and glass, or just making the aluminum case curve slightly around the edge and still having the black bezel under the flat glass. It doesn't take much curve to be comfortable.

18. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I like this idea.

19. rainmanbk thread starter macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

20. cmaier macrumors G3

Hideous. Looks like a generic tablet. And it looks twice as thick as an MBA.

21. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

The update looks nice too...I don't like the "pointier" edges though. I am one of those people who likes rounded edgese however and find sharp or tapered edges uncomfortable.

For me anyway if you pulled the aluminum back a bit so not so much shows on top and rounded the edges rather than having them taper to the point/seam I would love it.

People thinking it is too thick are pretty unrealistic. You have the put the guts somewhere.

22. macbook yes macrumors 6502

23. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

+1