My take on Maps

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by 0000757, Jun 13, 2012.

1. 0000757 macrumors 68040

As far as buttonless on Maps go, Maps is actually pretty stable. I only come to issues when I use 3D mode. There some bugs I get are when I find my location and try to zoom & the map renderings. it's only a beta so it'll be fixed. Tomorrow I'll update on turn-by-turn, but I'm loving these vector based maps (so much nicer than google!)

2. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

I know to all iOS 6 bashers the "little" upgrades are very welcome

3. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

I still can't for the life of me figure out what people expected from a brand new service like this... This isn't Google Maps, hell it's not even the finished product. The main thing I'm seeing is people complaining about how little info is on the map when compared to the Google Maps version prior to iOS 6... news flash, zoom in and you get more detail. It's not like the app is simply lacking street names you just need to zoom in a little to get smaller streets. I'm sure they will fix this in later betas, but IMO it's pretty good. I've done some turn by turn stuff already and it's been near flawless.

4. saintforlife macrumors 65816

What exactly is a vector based map? And how is it different from the current Google Maps? Could you please elaborate?

5. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

The way I understand vector based maps (correct me if I'm wrong, cause there's a good chance I am) is that they only show you the info that's necessary at the current level of zoom that you're at, making it easier and faster to load. So if I'm zoomed out a decent amount in my town it might only show major streets, highways, bridges, etc. I only get the small streets off of that main street if I zoom in a bit more. Once again, I could be wrong, but that's what I got from it. It's all info given from the device, rather than having to go back to a server in order to get the info. The device only gives you the info you need at that time.

6. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Close, but you can do that with tile based maps (ie. google).

Tile based maps use a series of tiles which are small pixel graphics files that all fit together to make the full map. Then they have different series of tiles at various zoom levels and the person building each tile set decides which details appear in each tile set. Do a big zoom in Maps everything will get fuzzy then will get clearer again but squares as the new tiles arrive.

With a Vector based file, each feature is described as a series of control points that make a shape outlining the feature, plus other information about what kind of feature. The device then renders that info live to the screen, filling the shape with the textures in the device for each feature type.

Problem /Advantage is that you now have a logarithm deciding which features are shown at which zoom scale, you can zoom more with no need for additional information. You can add higher levels of detail to the information you have and view you see reflects that straight away. Lines and text are always crisp.

Tiles - processor cheap, bandwidth expensive.
    Vectors - bandwidth cheap, processor expensive.

7. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I've heard this thrown around a bit, but what exactly is Vector based? I know what tile based is, and is probably the one thing that annoys me in Gmaps. But from the videos I've seen, Apple maps also seems to have some sort of tiles that fill in as they load... so is it different?

8. Cybbe macrumors 6502

Look at the explanation above, and have a look at this Wikipedia article, which explains the difference between bitmaps and vectors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics

I assume what fills in in Apple Maps are data, or map pictures. I cannot see how the latter could be defined using vectors.

9. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Yeah, if you ever need to know ask this guy haha. Way better explanation than I would've given even if I knew for sure what it was. Thanks for teaching me something new.

10. cjmillsnun, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Ok full explanation

There are 2 types of maps used.

They are vector and raster.

Raster maps generally use pictures (normally TIFF files) put together into a mosaic. Generally they are in tile form, although they can be any shape.

the advantage of this is that it is normally very quick to display and at native resolution is clear and easy to read.

The biggest disadvantage is that outside of the native resolution the image detail either is too much for the zoom level or it can be pixelated. Obviously this can be mitigated by creating multiple raster data sets for differing scale ranges.

Vector maps on the other hand are digitised points, lines and polygons. Each vertex is obviously at varying coordinates and the lines generated between them are a calculated vector.

At various scales various features can be switched in and out (like street names) and the symbology used can vary. For example road widths can change, as can water widths.

The advantage of this is that there is only one set of data required. The disadvantage is that the device has to render the maps on the fly which can slow things down.

On Apple maps the roads are vector based and the satellite imagery is raster based. They use both

Vector maps are my bread and butter. I use ordnance survey vector background mapping to map the locations of underground utilities plant on a GIS.

11. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

How does the turn by turn actually work? I don't seem to notice any audio directions coming from my phone?

12. Axne1 macrumors member

Axne1

13. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

I really hope they do fix this in a later beta, because you shouldnt HAVE to zoom in and lose an overview of what you're trying to see in order to get more detailed information. I'm taking it all with a grain of salt, however, because it is really only the first beta. If it ships like this as an RC then we can complain.

But yeah, having more info can be accomplished without uglying up the map:

[​IMG]

14. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

for the love of god, someone tell me how to enable turn by turn audio on the 4s please? lol

15. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

Turn volume up?

Mine just works as soon as I hit "Start".

16. nfl46 macrumors 604

This. Same here.

17. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Tried that, didn't work...I have no idea why audio directions are not working for me...I live in Canada

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

For navigation, do they have a destination history? Does it come up while typing a recent destination, is there a history section?

19. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

I know you probably have acquired a wealth of knowledge in your 6 posts (all troll worthy btw), but this isn't expected to be perfect... hence it being a beta version of the OS. You're comparing a service that has been operating on iOS for years to one that has been operating in a beta stage for 2 days. Please go post on AndroidCentral if you want to talk about how terrible Apple and beta versions of iOS are... you'd probably get a better response.

----------

Yes there's a unified history... included in this is also recent routes you've done (point a to point b). You can also bookmark places like always and those will also come up in the search bar.