My take on the New Macbook Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrmarts, Jun 14, 2012.

1. mrmarts, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

mrmarts macrumors 65816

I got my new macbook couple of days ago and thought that i would post my take for those of you here interested in getting one here is my verdict.

1. Retina screen is eye candy, this is the super model of laptops and as a member of cgwallpapers.com and gamewallpers.com the wallpapers are alive, glasses not required!

2. Silence and bliss - with no moving parts i.e hard disk and DVD rom this machine is as silent as those faces at Mount Rushmore

3. The MacBook has become anoroxic this thing is thin, very close to MacBook air, it also weighs less than my older 13inch model which has alas has found a better home.

4. Ports are aplenty - 2 thunderbolts for serious surging two USB 3.0 ports and a hdmi port for the big screen.

5. What about speed? This is the roadrunner of laptops even willie coyote (windows ultra book) will have a have a hard time catching up, one blink and the apple logo on start up is gone.

The little things that have gone

1. No more blinking standby lights, gone is the battery charging lights on the side as well, something useful if you are at the airport you don't want to attract those jumbos.

2. What do i call my new Macbook? Apple has ousted the Macbook pro name from the screen finally you can custom a name for your Macbook.

3. The power button is no longer flush, it now mingles with the keyboard.

The Nasty

Wheres the holder for my coffee cup or to play 'my precious' for apple has R.I.P' d it's optical drive.

All in one rig much like the titanic if the haul breaks everything is sunk and will break ones pocket.

Mirror mirror on the wall who is the Glairiest of them all, wha i still can see myself.

My 2 cents

Stop the bickering yeah it costs aplenty, but hey you get a free mountain Lion to feed and tame.

And that magical apple halo to light up the darkest part of life.

This machine is something between a ultra book and laptop, it is the offspring of the macbook air and macbook pro a hybrid of computers much like the toyota Prius of cars, it is revolutionary and the screen says it all.

Alas Steve Jobs has gone to the place where obsolete Mac computers go, but his legacy still lives for he once said the display is the most important part of a computer and the retina is proof of his vision.

2. mobiousblack macrumors member

3. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

THERE'S NO STANDBY LIGHT!? I'm canceling my order.

4. mrmarts thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks i will continue adding the little features which apple has added or ousted since their previous model.

5. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Seriously? Oh well, get the OLD MacBook Pro and have fun with it (Especially the "Standby Light") lol :D

6. Marrakas macrumors 6502

Marrakas

Wouldn't bet on it

7. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Joking. I will miss it though. I like that little light.

8. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Haha all good :) I guess this is just personal preference.
    Did you order the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display? I'm still waiting for mine, should arrive by the end of this month :D

9. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

I have the base model. I won't know really how well it's going to perform day to day for obvious reasons. My initial impressions.

- I've never been able to get into the red with the Blackmagic Speed Test, that was hugely satisfying.

- when I first experienced a laptop many, many years ago I tried to imagine the perfect thickness and form, and this is pretty much it, the monitor is INSANELY thin, and while it's not as thin as a Macbook Air, this is actually more practical and comfortable to me, maybe its a personal preference, but i prefer the uniform thickness.

- i like the removal of the macbook pro logo on the bezel.. it's the same attitude high end reference monitors have. Even just for design purposes, it really works.. such a small change, but quite a big difference if you're into that kind of thing.

- big bulky laptops can have awesome sound, but I am seriously impressed with the fidelity of the sound on this laptop.. seriously impressed.. wonder what the microphone quality will be like.

- new magsafe design.. love it.

- the thumb notch for lifting the lid, it's so nice and tactile to rest your thumb on while using the trackpad.. again this is such a design geek point, but something about the smooth feel and sharp edges.. just love it, one of those apple touches i die for.

LESS KEEN

- if you wear shorts, the back of the monitor kind of digs in and scratches a bit when open.. and this so far is literally the only design flaw i can think of at this initial point of time.

- maybe i don't use SD cards enough, but i would have preferred another USB port there instead, but i understand there are many that rely on SD cards a lot, and people don't like carrying around card readers.. and i totally see how SD cards will be the new CD.. but just from a personal viewpoint of someone who uses other media a lot.

- battery status LEDs would have been nice, have relied on that a lot.. but not had one of the modern MacBooks with 7 hour battery life.. maybe i won't miss it, time will tell.

- the screen is so good it has already made other similar sized screens look massively outdated. I have an old 30" ACD and a more recent 27" iMac, thankfully they still hold up, mainly due to the real estate. And I get how people would like Apple to give the option to present the OS at the native screen resolution, but I have to say using at the maximum option, words are way too tiny for me, I've put it one notch above the normal option, and I am not missing my 17" at all.. this is just the perfect size and resolution.. PERFECT

GENERAL

The moment Phil said in the keynote, they gave free reign to their designers and start from the ground up, I knew we were in for something special.. this truly is the Air on steroids.. right now.. for my needs (a video/film design nut).. this is the perfect laptop! I did a quick rough comparison in compressor with a 1 minute 4K ProRes 4444 file and converting it to 1080p H264 against my 8 core Mac Pro with a RAID SATA setup.. the base Retina finished first, it was a close race.. and i'm sure the SSD gave the edge.. but it is pretty insane to think a laptop with a form factor like this, a screen so epic and battery life i could only dream of years ago.. can even come close to the power of an Octo Mac Pro..

can only imagine what the top tier model is like.. but for my needs, I could not be happier.. what a machine... and thanks to Best Buy for allowing me to get hold of one, and not wait a month!

I can't keep my hands off this thing.. i just want to keep typing :)