My Take on the Touch Bar.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kildraik, Nov 16, 2016.

1. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

I think its awesome. Also, after I typed in, "awesome," I get the clapping and sunglass-smiley emoji. I actually wanted to use them. Let the psychological programming begin.

Now, at first I had a hard time getting into it. It was an afterthought, and had to force myself to look at it during the tasks that I wanted to experience it. Now, it seems, I don't even look at the screen while I'm typing. Overtime I sit back down, though, I have to "get back into it," but when I do, I feel really fast... more involved.

The small bits of being able to change tabs, predictive text, Office capability... It's actually training me to not use my main screen. I feel more focused. A bit faster.

Also, the "esc" key literally is always present. So, that solves it. Also, "fn" key displays the function keys... As advertised in the keynote, for those who didn't watch it.

I can see where it is going. I really like it. I can't wait until it works with Logic Pro.

The other half is that this will fill the offices of chiropractors. There are already forms of subluxation from people craning their neck over screens... I'm having to train myself to have muscle memory and quick glances.

Honestly, the touch bar should have been much brighter as well for brighter conditions, including and especially direct light. At night, or in darker rooms, it looks as beautiful as expected. Being the environment I work in anyways (mixing/recording studios), I dodged that bullet.

Give it 3 years and nobody will be able to live with a normal keyboard. It's another way of programming people to stick with Apple.

By the way, Apple needs to code Safari to auto-detect forum formatting, like for Office.

Back to work, now!

Edit: Actually, I just highlighted some text, and it automatically shows formatting options on the Touch Bar. Apple wins.

2. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Have had my new MacBook Pro for 48 hours now and I don't even use the Touchbar except for essentials.

As much as I admired it when it was announced, I really see no need for it --- yet.

Edit: I will say using 1Password with the touch ID is fantastic!

3. kildraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

kildraik

TouchID is a major win.

I really can't wait to see what it does for audio creatives. I'm thinking its going to impact workflow more than anything.

4. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Oh, yes, certainly.

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Very nice! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That is how I feel so far. It is really just being used for TouchID.

To the OP: what you said about not looking at your main screen. I think that is the exact thing that some of us do not want to happen.

7. ascender macrumors 68000

I think TouchID is the killer feature just now, but how does it work in practice and with what action specifically? What I mean is, obviously for run of the mill passwords in Safari, you don't use it. Logging-on/unlocking the laptop with it makes sense, so is it mainly used for authenticating when making purchases from iTunes?

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

It is a phenomenal feature for 1Password!

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I find it useful, but not killer. The safari extension for 1password works just fine IMO.

10. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Oh yes, the Safari extension works great. And Cmd-\ is the fastest way to populate your password. What I was referring to was utilizing Touch ID in lieu of typing in your Master Password.

11. Macalway macrumors 68000

We should have a thread for existing and potential touch bar applications

One application i'm curious about. In GarageBand I often use virtual items that have rotary knobs (or sliders). They are problematic with trackpads or mice. I'm wondering if this touch bar could help here, where you could have a row of them on the touch bar.

12. Dave245 macrumors 601

I thought that this might be the case, one of my friends is an editor and as soon as he saw what Apple announced with the new MacBook Pro's and the Touch Bar, he ordered one. Being able to use the Touch Bar for editing is what sold him the most, the demo they showed on stage with it had him convinced it would save him time when editing in Final Cut X, he thinks that alone is worth the upgrade. Personally i haven't brought one, i'm not an editor, I'm not sure how much of a difference i will see from my 2011 MacBook Pro, i'm a writer and i wonder how much use it would be to people like me.

13. kildraik, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016

kildraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

kildraik

I had thought that as well, but honestly, I just find that while typing it is a better environment. I did get to utilize the Touch Bar while using Final Cut Pro last night, and I must say, one hand working the timeline and the other making quick edits... I actually fell in love with it. It still has a lot of growing up to do.

Another thing I noticed was that when I had music playing today, and pulled up a video on youtube, icons of both Safari and iTunes popped up, and you could select either/or to pause/scrub each. It was super useful.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016 ---
    I use Logic, Cubase, PT, etc, and I am hoping, like you, that the touch bar will have some sort of role in adjusting parameters, like you said, like highlighting an LFO for example, with a slider appearing to have refined control. For now we have to stick with, "click and slide up or down." I used to try and, "turn," the knob all the time. Support for Logic Pro comes in, "Early 2017," and I am certain GarageBand will follow suit.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016 ---
    iTunes, App Store, Apple Pay from retailers (thank you, Amazon!), any system-related passcode like System Preferences or installing an application, etc, (a godsend when installing everything fresh on a new system). One thing that I love is that I position the, "Lock Screen," button by the TouchID sensor, so if I step away from my Mac for a sec, everything is black, just put your finger on the sensor and it unlocks immediately.

14. Macalway macrumors 68000

I have Logic and Mainstage. If they support Logic, Mainstage will most likely work also (guessing). I figure by spring this thing will be ready for prime time. As it is now, it seems a little rough around the edges. I bought one without it because I don't want to be distracted by it as it is now. I'll switch if I see the need.

15. Garage Battle macrumors member

I own both a tb and ntb 13" as of today.

I spent $2138 on my 16gb TB 13".

I spent $1390 on my 8gb NTB 13".

Thats about $750 difference.

I originally purchased the TB with the assumption that Iris 550 and the stronger processor would make it 20-30% faster than the NTB version. However most benchmarks show only a small difference so its hard for me to justify the price difference.

More importantly I considered what id be using the laptop for. Powerpoint, webex, safari browsing, watching videos, bootcamp for Windows Powerpoint (I have DRM content), and writing emails.

Just seemed pointless.

Lastly, and this is my honest opinion on the Touch Bar - I think its only going to be useful for some people. Fundamentally it breaks the concept of what a keyboard should be, forcing the user to be glancing back and forth between 2 screens. Like driving a car and constantly glancing down at the stereo. I want to keep my eyes on the screen.

I understand exactly why apple hasn't made a touch device - but it doesn't mean it shouldn't. The Vaio Z Canvas was a pro level machine in many ways, and it would be great if Apple would build something beefy for the professional that needs it.

I will miss Touch ID. Super, super nice.

However that $750 difference goes a long way toward a 34" monitor.

16. Macalway, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016

Macalway macrumors 68000