My Take on the Touch....

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wpwj40e, Sep 20, 2007.

1. wpwj40e macrumors regular

After seeing a few bad screens and trying to figure out whether an iPhone would be better....I broke down and bought the 16GB Touch yesterday from Best Buy.

In many ways I am "wowed" and even more impressed that I thought I would be, there are a few things that are really annoying....enough so that I will try it for a few weeks and if I can't get over the annoying factors, will return.

First - out of the box the touch would NOT sync at all with my brand new iMac. After reading through support issues and what have you - changing the USB connection, restarting the iMac, re downloading iTunes was finally able to get the touch to throw an error which caused the firmware to be replaced.
    Interestingly enough there have been quite a few complaints of this - but obvioulsy no where near the level of the negative black screens.

Before you ask - yes my display shows the negative black screen effect. It is ONLY noticeable in very dark scenes with the screen held directly in front of you at 90 degrees. It is very faint and no where near the level I saw with other screens in person. In fact - if I return this touch - it will not be for the screen which with the way I hold it etc - causes me no issue whatsoever. I just compared it to my co-workers iPHONE with several of the same video (we probably looked wierd huddled in a dark conference room:)) and the ONLY difference we saw was in dark scenes as mentioned above. The iPhone displayed those scenes favourably regardless of the angle or direct view - the iTouch croaked in direct view.

Safari on this device is amazing. I spent 1 1/2 hours listening to music and surfing my fav forums. This was really just fantastic. The best mobile expereince I have ever had. Safari did crash once - but all else was fine.

Now to my second issue - really annoying, can I say even deal breaking. The battery life! After 90 minutes of surfing and listening to music - yes both at the same time - the battery died. Recharged it and was able to do other things later - but after another full charge - then played with youtube(fantastic), wifi store(bought two albums - really cool) and some video. 2 hours and 6 minutes later - the battery died. Charged it again.....early this AM - woke up to a dead touch.....Because my iMac sleeps and that DRAINS the battery if you have connected your touch. For pete's sake - I then connected it to a PC that doesn't sleep and let it charge. Still running 5 hour slater - although I have turned off wireless and have done just a few things with it. Mostly showing it around the office and playing tunes. Has about 50% battery right now.

Without an AC adaptor (optional) and being able to plug it into my main computer (because it sleeps at night) and with the abysmal battery life of the touch - the main drawback for me is not the screen - but the battery. This will not last a trip into the airport with a 3 hour plane ride. Your talking about aprox 5 hours total - with the first hour spent surfing wireless while awaiting the plane - then tunes then video on the plane. AT the rate this battery drains - won't last the trip.

Some other small pet peeves - inability to adjust the volume without diving into menu's. If you are listening to music and happen to be doing something else (like surfing the web) there is no easy way to adjust the volume. Several times Ijust yanked out the headphones cause it took me to long to find the volume adjustment.

Oh and the sound on this is amazing. No hiss - and through the various headphones I own - equal if not better than my nano and video ipod. Nice and clear, just very, very good.

In short - or long:)....I really, really like this device - my biggest issue is the battery life followed by some little nits like volume adjustment and the scratch magnet of the chrome back. It is a bit harder to grip because of the thiness as well - but all in all a really cool device.

It will be the battery life issue that causes me to return it. I will use if for awhile and see what the battery life ends up being once I am over the "newness".....

Therese

2. csmith75 macrumors newbie

I kinda agree on the battery life....it's not as good as I hoped. As for the volume issue, pressing the home button twice doesn't really seem like that big of an issue to turn it down.

3. Auk217 macrumors newbie

Yeah - double click that home button no matter what screen you are in and the music controls will pop up - very cool feature - Apple does think of everything. As for you battery, I haven't had any issues. Though I do recommend draining it and doing a complete charge a few times. I think these batteries do need to "break in" - though I may be wrong about that.

4. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Battery life for portable wifi devices is universally poor, to be honest. I've read the Archos 605 only gets an hour.

I didn't measure wifi battery life when I had my Touch, but I was very impressed considering the powerful browser and great form factor. OTOH, my original expectations were less than yours.

As someone else mentioned, double tap the home button for easy access to music controls. Very nice feature.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yes, my first plug of it to my MB has no effect too, I was wondering of something wrong with it. lol

My test with wi-fi battery is 3.5Hrs, no music tho. I expect this device to last shorter than iPhone, since when it getting thinner, everybody know the battery gonna be reduced. Im not sure as of now if battery will be a major problem to me in the future purchase (the one I have now is going back to BB soon).

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

That was my sense of wifi battery life too- close to 4 hours.

I think whether that works for someone is highly dependent their daily lifestyle. For serious web use, I'd use my MacBook anyway, so 3-4 hours is more than enough for me. Plus during the day I'm in the office at my computer, so charging and keeping my battery full is no problem whatsoever.

I do wish the iPod Touch was just 1, 1.5 mm thicker, which might add a couple hundred mA to the battery. The Touch battery is very thin itself. But overall I am very happy with the form factor, given that it's ultimately a judgement call of trying to find the right compromise between many different factors.

I mean screen issue aside, it really feels like a device from the future. You hold this thing in your hand, and it feels like it's a glass display and a back, that's it! (like the new iMacs, but even more so.) Kind of like when you first hold an SD card in your hand, and you think to yourself "256 MB? The whole thing is just a thin piece of plastic!"

7. wpwj40e thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info re the double tap. I did do that - however when I was browsing the web - it brought up other web pages or returned me to the home screen. Maybe I did not do it quick enough. Will play with this more. This would certainly alleviate my nit regarding volume control.

I have friends that have the iPhone and they get better battery life. Usually 3-4 hours if surfing and doing other stuff. Another co-worker has the touch and he is also having the issues with battery life. Rarely lasts for more than 3 hours with moslty watching video and doing a little wifi - rest of time turned off - or so he claims. He also has a much worse screen than mine - shows the negative blacks regardless of how you hold the device. Was pretty jealous when he saw my screen:)

Either way - gonna "live" with the iTouch for a week or so before I make any other decisions. Honestly if it were not for the battery - I would LOVE this device!

Therese

8. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

With modern devices you have to have them near a socket at least once a day. The days of things lasting weeks/months are gone. I've got a plethora of chargers both at the office and home, and in the car.. it's just a side effect of modern life.

Now if they'd just invent a universal charger that did everything rather than coming up with a new one for every single device, I'd be happy :p

I'm definately getting more than 3-4 hours with the itouch... battery life is pretty good in fact - and if it starts running down I'll just get an ipod usb cable and stick it into one of the machines around here to charge it.

9. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

wifi drains your battery.... mine lasted for 3.5 hours on first try with wifi and a movie playing!

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I tend to leave WiFi off unless I'm actively surfing or in an environment where I might do so. I watched a couple episodes of House and listened to at least three albums yesterday and barely made a dent in the battery.

11. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Perhaps a future firmware will have an auto-off on the wifi like phones do... then it'll be the best of both worlds.

12. DeXtA macrumors member

Hmmm, this is one of my primary concerns. I do believe that the old "charge completely down then charge up" technique will work best when I first get it.

Good first feelings :)

13. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Forget about the completely down.. lithium ion doesn't like that. Do charge for 12 hours or so when you first get it though (it normally says to do that in the manual of most devices).

14. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

You know what might be cool? Tapping on the wifi icon to turn it on and off.

Is the icon too small for this to be realistic? I don't remember.

It seems faster than having to go into settings...