My temp protection solution...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by phantomsd, Jun 27, 2010.

1. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

Seeing that none of my favorite case/film solutions are available yet... (Incase slider + Power Support)... I devised a super quick fix for the time being. I'm mostly concerned about the glass front and back... extremely careful about setting it down anywhere (I'm sure most of you can relate).

I've kept my "OEM" back film on but the tab was getting in the way every time I wanted to plug my 30-pin cable in plus it was collecting dust and debris from the exposed tab's stickiness... so I pulled off the film... cleaned it with some scotch tape... snipped the tab... reapplied it like I would a new film.

For the front... I realized I had some extra Power Support/Switcheasy films from my old 3G. These a just a bit shorter than the iPhone 4 screen (1/4 cm from top and bottom)... but if you line it up with the very bottom edge of the home button... it should leave adequate space up top for the speaker hole.

A bumper (if I can find one!) would be icing on the cake... not to mention cover the exposed 1/4 cm areas.

Not the most "fitting" solution but it will give me some peace of mind until we have some solid cases/films.

ip4_temp.jpg

2. keeganxt macrumors regular

Is that an anti glare film? If so hows the camera look through it? I also have some extra PS films.

3. phantomsd thread starter macrumors 6502

phantomsd

4. khhntz macrumors member

I too am using the films (front and back) that came with the phone right now. In addition to cutting out the extruding tabs on the bottom, I also cut the front piece to just covering the screen only.
    After that, I slap on the Color silicon case by Switcheasy that I bought for my old iPhone 3G.
    It is pretty discrete and no one knows that I am sporting a new iPhone 4. Since iPhone 4 is a bit smaler than iPhone 3G, the case still works fine but obviously there is some space with the phone inside the case. But it does serve its purpose. I already dropped it once coming out of a car. The drop is about a foot or two but it was not scratched.
    I am holding out so I can buy an Otterbox Defender case.

Attached Files: