My theory for the future iPhone's camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zwhaler, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

One of the rumors coming out some time after the iPhone 6 release regarding its successor was that the upgraded camera was going to be a "big feature", if not its main new feature. We can argue whether or not the camera is the best new feature of the iPhone 6s, but the bottom line is that its better. It isn't revolutionary for its quality, but it is a solid iterative upgrade.

Now, some of you may be familiar with this patent filed by Apple:

[​IMG]

The most important function of this design is that it offers a brilliant implementation of optical zoom into a cameraphone, which has never been done before in a globally successful mainstream product such as the iPhone. By integrating the zoom lens into the phone laterally, as opposed to protruding, coupled with a mirror at a 45 degree angle, we can finally realize an ultra compact, next generation cameraphone lens that is free of the substantial limitations of digital zoom.

Remember the rumors about the camera becoming one of the biggest new features? Despite the fact that the new iPhone 6s can shoot Ultra HD video and live photos, I don't think this is the big upgrade they were talking about. I suspect that since several years have passed since the filing of this patent, we might be on the brink of this technology hitting the market within the next few years, if not sooner.

Can you imagine? Apple would have a decisive lead over the competition in a way that is next to impossible to replicate (although I'm sure they could find a way). This would pose an enormous threat to the consumer/prosumer dSLR markets, as the disparity between them would be immensely reduced. This is the last major obstacle remaining for the iPhone camera to be a truly professional camera.

2. Orien macrumors regular

Orien

I'd much rather take a bigger sensor over zoom. I barely use zoom on my mirrorless prime lenses as it is.