My Theory-No upgrades to iphone v1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cjandnw, Sep 10, 2007.

1. cjandnw macrumors 6502

It is my opinion that the only future changes to the iPhone V1 will be geared to direct financial gain.
    This is confirmed by:
    1. iTunes wifi store (impulse buying)
    2. 99cent ringtones
    3. Starbucks…

If there were confirmed updates / enhancements or desired apps such as:
    3G (I know the chip set isn’t there); MMS support; Flash; GPS (I know its not in the iphone); True Stereo Bluetooth (although I still feel this may be a possibility)
    SJ would have announced it before a price drop. I think there are many people not buying the iphone because of the “missing apps” and hoping they would be added before buying.
    Don’t you think Apple could have capitalized on this “on the fence” market by announcing these features / apps would be released by (you pick the date)?

After the potential new rush of sales and the date comes and goes, then drop the price and get the remaining sector of buyers who just can’t shell out $600 for the device.

In summary, I think we have all of the basic smartphone functions we are going to have. Additional features will be $$$ driven.
    Future software “updates” will be to stop hacks, fix security holes and enhance the current functionality.

I hope I am wrong.

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The iPhone hardware must support GPS, as all new phones are required to. It's just a matter of software support.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

There will be upgrades. Apple has already said during conference calls that there are a few in the pipeline and that they are expensed so they can release them at no extra charge (unlike the 802.11n upgrade charge).

4. cjandnw thread starter macrumors 6502

I believe phones have to be able to assist law enforcement with location information. They can use either GPS or Cell Tower Triangulation, which is much less accurate.

5. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

There *will* be upgrades.

I think the general consensus is that they will come after Leopard.

For example, the ability to sync Notes should appear after Leopard changes the handling of them to Mail.app. This only makes sense as it's too obvious.

But as far as MMS, I could see Apple holding out... maybe trying to transition users to use email for photos.

I remember when they did this with floppy discs. They wanted everyone to transition to CD-R's, so they took floppies off of all their machines. Everyone was real pissed, and it didn't make any sense at the time, but look at it now. All I can say is I hope this isn't the case with MMS or Multi-SMS.

6. acrafton macrumors 6502

One big hole that Apple may want to fill is Blackberry support. If they could get that in the next six months or so they will sell another million phones in 90 days. . .

Would all it take be software port to Mac OSX and then to the IPhone? Nothing on the server infrastructure would need to updated would it?

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Maybe I'm dumb but why would Apple add Blackberry support for the iPhone?

8. acrafton macrumors 6502

To enable lots of crackberry addicts to use it with their corporate email servers. There are many, many companies that have committed to blackberry as an infrastructure and won't let pop devices access the email servers (mine included).

For me (and lots of others), the IPhone is a no-go without blackberry support.

9. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I think there'll be an upgrade to 16GB. MMS will come to non-AT&T people (ie. in Europe). A lot of stuff depends on Leopard, as someone has pointed out.

I'd like to see 3G but I'm not holding my breath. O2's upgrade to EDGE recently is a hint.

10. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

It has nothing to do with Blackberry. They are simply a company that provides the push email service. You're meerly looking for exchange support...specifically push email.

Blackberry was just one of the first companies to offer this service on a large scale.

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

exchange support, not blackberry support.