Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
I think Steve Jobs is still sick and had to be cleared by his doctor for the event. Things were looking iffy and they had to wait to see if Jobs felt good enough to be able to deliver the keynote. Today he was cleared and the invitations were sent.

On a side note, I think if the rumored price drops are true, then we can kiss our student discounts goodbye, but thats ok since it'll be more like 'everyone' gets a student discount type of thing.

xrayboy

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA
keynote announcement

I actually thought they WOULDN'T announce a keynote and just drop this on everybody with a website product update on Tuesday. Apple has been having these keynotes for every major product release lately and their stock has been destroyed at each event. The buildup to these dates is great for sales and rumors, but has been horrible for investors. I was hoping Steve would just drop a bomb next Tuesday and surprise Wall Street without much fanfare.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I actually thought they WOULDN'T announce a keynote and just drop this on everybody with a website product update on Tuesday. Apple has been having these keynotes for every major product release lately and their stock has been destroyed at each event. The buildup to these dates is great for sales and rumors, but has been horrible for investors. I was hoping Steve would just drop a bomb next Tuesday and surprise Wall Street without much fanfare.

The problem is, no matter what apple releases, it seems speculators arent ever happy and apple takes a hit.
I vaugely remember reading an article about apples stock taking a hit during the iphone announcement keynote.

I think apple just gets the **** end of every thing because for some reason they expect every single product to be some miracle breakthrough.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
I think Steve Jobs is still sick and had to be cleared by his doctor for the event. Things were looking iffy and they had to wait to see if Jobs felt good enough to be able to deliver the keynote. Today he was cleared and the invitations were sent.

On a side note, I think if the rumored price drops are true, then we can kiss our student discounts goodbye, but thats ok since it'll be more like 'everyone' gets a student discount type of thing.

ahahahahahahahahaha are you for real

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
even IF the heart attack rumor was true (which it clearly wasnt if the FBI has to investigate the rumor spreaders) I know for a fact that his steveness would give that keynote no matter wat.

The man lives to put on that turtleneck and excite us.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Right...the launch date of the core product of a billion dollar company awaits a note from the doctor.

I never suggested that the launch date would be changed. Apple has released several notebooks before without an event and if Jobs wasn't well enough to do the keynote (as my theory goes) we would have simply seen them pop up on apple's webpage.

The event is to hype up Apple's products and get press coverage, nothing more. Most people don't even know about the event well after the products have been released. To Apple, it's an economical way to advertise.

Whenever people hear that Steve Jobs is sick or hear rumors that he is dead though, Apple stock drops. He is the face of the company and is vital to the image. Imagine an Apple event with Jobs mysteriously absent? That's not good press, that's the type of news that can take the focus off of Apple's products, in which case it's better to just release them via the web.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
hey guys i have a theory as to why the keynote was announced one day late, it all has to do with steve jobs saving elephants or something

should i post a thread about this y/n

powderblue17

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
Hasn't every invite been sent out on the Thrusday before a Tuesday event? I don't see why anyone was expecting it any earlier.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Or maybe they wanted to mess with the rumors community. Or maybe none of the above.

Maybe they did want to catch us by surprise, but what about the people getting the invites? I don't think giving them two days less to prepare for the event is exactly the best way to get them to attend the event. And getting coverage from the press is the entire purpose of having the event.

baseless rumors are awesome!:)

:rolleyes:

Ok first of all I don't think this is a "rumor" and it's not exactly "baseless" either.

First of all a rumor is defined as being "hearsay", meaning the origin of the information is unknown. Obviously this isn't hearsay, I've said that this is "my theory", not that "I heard it somewhere". It's not too different than people posting "mockups" of Apple products. As long as they say it's a mockup we know its just someone idea, if they don't say its a mockup and don't say where it came from then its a rumor.

Second, it's not baseless. It's based on the fact that Jobs was obviously sick in the last event and the fact that as far as I can find out, Apple always releases invites a week ahead of time. Is piecing the two a stretch? Sure is, but I'm not trying to push this as being fact as I cleary stated its a theory. Look it up in the dictionary if you don't know the meaning of that word either.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It's based on the fact that Jobs was obviously sick in the last event

WTF are you talking about?

Hes thin, thin != sick.

Before you give me lessons on hearsay and theory, i suggest you examine the definition of fact.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
WTF are you talking about?

Hes thin, thin != sick.

Before you give me lessons on hearsay and theory, i suggest you examine the definition of fact.

Man you are right, what was I thinking? The only time people lose weight is when they are getting healthier. Anorexic people are the healthiest after all. The more weight you can lose the healthier you are.

http://healthcare.zdnet.com/?p=1173

By the way, before you tell me to look up the definition of the word "fact" you should know it yourself.

You must be very young, otherwise you'd know that sometimes when people get sick they lose weight and can have a "frail" appearance. It's not the thin you see in athletes that are in shape.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Man you are right, what was I thinking? The only time people lose weight is when they are getting healthier. Anorexic people are the healthiest after all. The more weight you can lose the healthier you are.

http://healthcare.zdnet.com/?p=1173

By the way, before you tell me to look up the definition of the word "fact" you should know it yourself.

Your an idiot if steve being skinnier is your only basis for thinking hes sick. That still doesnt make prove hes sick.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
all the semantics in the world won't stop this thread from being terrible

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

no they truly wont, and that article didnt do jack s$#t of backing up OP's statement that steve is obviously sick.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008

Well it seems it's good enough for you to make 3 half-assed juvenile remarks. Your parents should really watch you more.

no they truly wont, and that article didnt do jack s$#t of backing up OP's statement that steve is obviously sick.

Here is one more thread for you. If this doesn't help then I suggest giving Captain Obvious a call.

http://www.mathewingram.com/work/2008/06/09/is-steve-jobs-sick-again-or-just-thin/

Oh and I didn't say steve IS sick. I said "I think he's STILL sick". Part of the whole theory thing I explained. And if you don't care to read the whole article here is an excerpt for you, 'The Apple Insider blog says that according to the company Jobs has been suffering from a “common bug.”'

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Well it seems it's good enough for you to make 3 half-assed juvenile remarks. Your parents should really watch you more.

welp, someone has pointed out that my thread is terrible and nothing i say is based in reality

better accuse him of being a child

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.