My third Apple bumper. shredding and chipping away from my bare hand?...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Brettka7, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Brettka7 macrumors regular

This is getting ridiculous, and I'm pretty sure at this point, the Apple store guys are starting to not believe my hand is causing this. I hold my phone in my right hand, and this is somehow causing the bumper to deteriorate extraordinarily quickly. I do not wear any jewelry. Here is my two week old replacement bumper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the other side for comparison:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, only the side I hold deteriorates, while the other side remains perfect, so I know it's not the material of my pants doing the damage. The side that is deteriorating has relatively large chunks of rubber missing, is becoming "wavy," and even the plastic is unevenly "chipping away" it seems. I have yet to drop the phone or bumper, an I have never washed or boiled it. I wouldn't be posting this thread if I didn't stupidly hand over $29 plus tax for it. Is anyone else experiencing this problem to this extent, this quickly?

2. ZipZap macrumors 603

Alert Stan Lee....maybe he'll have you on his show as

"Acid Man"

3. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The Apple bumpers are the worse. I have a black one I no longer use and had for maybe a month and it looks pretty bad.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I've had mine since April, and it's not done that.
    My roommate has had his for over a year, and it's not done that.

I can see why the Genius's would have a hard time believing you.

6. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

It always makes me giggle how quick people are in this forum to accuse each other of lying. But I have no reason to destroy bumpers, drive to the apple store, and have them replace it every couple of weeks.

7. Jason111709 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't know what an apple bumper is made out of as I've never even held one but if its rubber or plastic it may not be your hand per say that's doing the damage. It may be what you have on your hand. Lotion, Hand sanitizer, oils and other chemicals could be the culprit. My gf was going through rubber steering wheel covers like crazy. Hand sanitizer was eating then away.

8. kicko macrumors 65816

maybe your skin is very acidic?? and its breaking down the silicone easier then usual? I'm just guessing but there could be some truth to it. Talk to a dermatoligist.

I use the knockoff bumpers and have not had anything like that happen.

9. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

How did I not realize this! I use hand sanitizer several times per day at work. Thanks for the answers everyone!

10. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

very possible. OP do you have a leather steering wheel? No matter the material, what does the steering wheel look like?

11. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

My two week old Candyshell started shredding too last night, and as I was taking it off to examine it, the plastic on the bottom above the dock connector snapped right in half. :confused:

12. hizzaah macrumors 6502

Glad you got it figured out OP. let us know if the hand sanitizer was indeed the problem.

Used an apple bumper for 1 day. My iPhone 4 had a bad wifi card and when I went in to get it swapped, they gave me a bumper so I decided to sport it for the day. Got outta the car at home and it slipped out of my hand on to the concrete and split the bumper, chipping the side of my screen on my 30 minute old iPhone :mad: never used another after that. Pooooorly constructed imo

13. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

My vinyl steering wheel is in great condition. As is my vinyl shift knob and vinyl parking brake. My hands have never done this to anything before.

14. kicko macrumors 65816

stop washing your hands so much :)

a little bit of germs are ok when building your immune system up

15. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Just an idea but I got a Caze Thinedge bumper off of eBay for $8 and I'd have to say its superior to Apples bumper. It doesn't have the problems that the Apple one does...

16. PeturR macrumors newbie

Are you sweating acid? scary..I have been using mine for almost 2 months when 4 came out.. so far not too bad...