iPod touch My thoughts after 24hrs with new touch

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Screen is lovely

Battery life is excellent, far better than my 4s.

Wi-Fi seems a little weak

No mains adaptor apple? Lame

Not possible to view battery on %. Lame

Not being flat on a surface is more annoying that I expected.

A physical do not disturb button is needed similar to iPhone.

Lack of auto brightness is more annoying than I expected.

Pictures are better than anyone should expect on such a thin device

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Wi-fi weak? Do you mean you're not getting full bars or the speeds are slow?
The signal strength seems weak not the speed.

Re battery: I get about 7 hours of usage, and it dropped about 3% last night.

aquaboi924

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
The signal strength seems weak not the speed.

Re battery: I get about 7 hours of usage, and it dropped about 3% last night.
yup, slow for me too...it took a few mins to update some apps on it while it took only a few seconds on my iphone4...they're both running ios6...

darkxsky86

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
What i've notice with my new touch is that the battery life seems inconsistent. I was able to enable the battery % in the status bar and it jumps around a lot. Dropping down to 57 then going back up to 62. I was watching an episode of the office(~20 mins) on netflix and battery only dropped by 4%. However when viewing the news, news360 app for instance battery life drops by practically double that in about 30 mins. So that would mean i would get much better usage just watching netflix given the fact that wifi is constantly streaming with video and audio going on. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I would like to know your battery consumption comparing to touch G4.

the capacity is higher i know but i think A5 chip used in Ipad 2 could help lower juice consume same as it did ipad 2.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Plist edit method. Pretty easy if you know what you are doing.

You can enable battery % on ipod touch 4g without jailbreaking it you can use backup bot for itunes. Thats how i enabled it on mine. Step 1: goto http://www.icopybot.com/ibackupbot_setup.exe download and install it if you have windows. Step 2: Next create a backup of your device in iTunes and then CLOSE iTunes (or else you may run into problems later on) do not lock the backup with a password. Step 3: Open iBackupBot. Click the backup you just made Next click "Path" to sort by Path. Step 4: Look for Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist and double click it. On the registration screen that comes up, hit cancel. Step 5: Find <dict> and create a new line after it. Then add this:
<key>SBShowBatteryLevel</key>
<true/>

Step 6: Hit CTRL + S or just the save button at the top left corner of that editor window. Now close the window.
Step 7: Right click that same backup you just edited
Step 8: click restore
Step 9: Done! If you don't see the changes, reboot your iPod.
Enjoy I hope you found this useful!

(Quoted from Lester1234 on Apple discussions board. Here is the link to my source. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3952155?start=0&tstart=0)

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Battery life really is so much better. I'm on 5 hrs usage and 12 hrs standby and still on 51%. Must be the lack of 3g. Still, I've been tethering also.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
my biggest gripe is the lack of an actual charging brick. Yes, its great that you supplied a cable and all, but now my kid has to steal an iphone, iPad or iPod charging brick from something that is already being used in our house.
What, for the $300 that you bent me over for, you couldn't include a means to charge self sufficiently?

pachi

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
I'm having a problem with wifi too. It drops in areas where my 1st gen is not having a problem. I'm not sure what to do and I'm very disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.