My thoughts on June and the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bluisnblklungs, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Bluisnblklungs macrumors member

I don't really see a big update coming in June...for the hardware, hopefully a 32GB will come out for you guys and gals that 16GB is not enough for ya. The only other thing might be a color change but I wouldn't hold my breath. If they come out with an new color i would think it would be a a "silver" of some sort to match the new MacBooks. The thing that i see coming is a major software update 3.0.x. I think that this is when they will introduce Copy and Paste, Blue Tooth file transfer, Flash, Video Cam, Zoom, hopefully landscape text and email and MMS. I was just wondering if anyone else has the same thoughts as me. I know someone is going to be like no way the iPhone nano is going to be coming out or no they are going to put a 9mp cam in it and update the screen to 1080p and it will be able to fly. lets be real its a phone and a iPod not a cam or a replacement for your TV. these things are not going to happen so please don't bring them up :D .

Thanks
    Eric

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Were you just sitting around and just decided you had to blog ... I mean post about your thoughts on the iPhone and June? I am curious, say it were ... oh I don't know, April ... thoughts?

3. Bluisnblklungs thread starter macrumors member

Well, the iPhone cycle is in June so that's why i picked that month. Sorry if that doesn't work for you but that's just how it goes even cook said that in a interview as of late sooo that's why i went with June ;).

Eric

P.S.
    What are your thoughts other than June was not a good month to choose?

4. inkswamp macrumors 68030

inkswamp

That all makes sense. I think Apple could get an amazing amount of mileage out of a software update because of all the features people are still waiting on. Only tweaking the hardware in minor ways makes sense. I think it's a real possibility that the only big announcement about the iPhone between now and June would be a major software update.

I do not, however, think Flash will be part of the mix. I believe Apple has rightly and thankfully identified Flash as one of those technologies that is a bigger pain in the ass than it's worth and causes more problems than it fixes (unless we're talking about advertising.) I've long disliked embedded environments like that in Web pages, including Java applets, that don't obey the browser rules (ever tried to right-click a link in a Flash block to open it in a new tab or bookmark it?) I'm perfectly happy if Flash never reaches the iPhone. I block it in Firefox, avoid sites that rely on it and I don't miss it on the iPhone.

5. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I predict.

No MMS.
    Lotsa whining.
    Many drunk teenagers mad that they can not MMS each others drunken adventures on their iphone.

I win.

6. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

I don't want to spin this into yet another MMS thread, but MMS itself will require the iPhone to be able to access more than 1 access point.
    (Settings > General > Cellular Data Network > APN)

At this will be the case for the UK, and I can't see Apple allowing this.

Also to add MMS at this stage would duplicate the functionality of an App that they have allowed on their own AppStore, again I doubt they will allow this, and the developer would be pretty peeved I'd imagine.

I think June is a safe bet for upgrades due to being the iPhones Birthday / cycle renewal date. I would prefer to see some hardware (Slide out QWERTY / better camera / front facing camera / all the other usual requests / etc.) changes over software, but I'm not holding my breath.

16Gb is plenty for a phone I think. You can get plenty of Music (do you really need your whole collection) and handful of Movies and the full 9 screens Apps in that amount.

Only time will tell I guess. Let's just enjoy what we have for now though.

7. copydeskcat macrumors regular

The iPhone is now on an 18 month cycle (like the people who have 18-month contracts), so any updates in the summer will be cosmetic (coverplate colours, possible memory upgrade to 32gb) although major software improvements are also likely.

I don't know where you get the idea the iphone would ever have a slide out qwerty - did you not watch the original iPhone launch? It's all about software - major changes will always be about the operating system, not the hardware. The only reason the iPhone was upgraded to 3G was because it was effectively a second-rate phone backed up with first rate software. It was broken and they fixed it.

Apple has a list as long as your arm of software that people want on the iPhone - some are easy for them to do, some are not.

Short-term predictions will be:

- memory hike
    - cover changes
    - Camera improvement
    - Battery/performance enhancements
    - lots of software improvements

Oh, and any major changes will undoubtedly happen in time for Christmas.

8. O2-guy macrumors newbie

This already happens for Visual Voicemail which uses a secondary APN (for O2) so no reason it couldn't happen for MMS.

The MMS app in the app store is not MMS, it just tries it look like it. It sends from the device via email and before being forwarded to 3rd party MMS servers. And it charges a whopping 35p per message which doesn't come of your tariff bundle, you have to pay up front via paypal.

To receive MMS it uses the O2 legacy service to login to the O2 website each time.

Proper MMS on the iPhone would be 100% better than that. Hardly a duplication.

9. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Then they have no excuses! lol.

I never knew that there was a second APN hidden in the OS to allow for Visual Voicemail to work like that. Im quite shocked to hear that as well, and please don't take this the wrong way, but curious as to how you now that. I use an unlocked iPhone so don't get VV anyway and tend not to think about it. Does the iPhone OS have all the networks extra APN's built in for VV to work. I wonder as well why they give you the option to change your data APN, but not your VV APN (not that you'd want to).

I hope this doesn't come across in the wrong way I've just never heard this before.

As for MMS, by "duplication" I refer to the end user experience of being able to send / receive MMS messages as apposed to the technical inner-workings of how it's achieved. Most customers don't really care how the message gets to or from their handset, but rather that it can or can't be done.

10. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

All I want is...

32gb

More RAM

Beefed up processor (Perhaps a PA Semi?)

Upgraded Camera with Solid Video Capabilities

Longer Lasting Battery, new MBP battery maybe?

More Bluetooth compatability

My list ^above^ doesn't seem highly unlikely does it?

Now some things that would be nice...

Front Facing Camera for video chat/conferencing, UStreaming, etc...

Larger screen which fits into the existing iphone size, maybe HD?

ALL OF THE ABOVE ^^^

Oh and I'm assuming its WWDC possibly in June that we are speaking of which is a pretty big event right?

With that said I don't really care for ANY software upgrades. Not that there won't be any because those are more likely than ANY hardware upgrade I would think. But I want the BIG event (WWDC) to be for something well, BIG! As in a new iPhone with upgraded hardware.

Save the software updates for random points within the year just like the recent 2.2.1 that just came outta nowhere. Software can be added anytime, save the special events for something different.

My 2 cents, thanx for reading.

:D

11. O2-guy macrumors newbie

The extra APN for O2 is there if you know where to look. I believe O2 is the only network to have a different APN, all others use the same as the one used for web, email etc.

O2 have some corporate customers and some of them have private APNs they want to use rather than the standard public one. Other networks that don't have that requirement aren't given the option to edit the APN settings.

Agree, but users want to have the MMS they send come off their tariff bundle rather than have to mess around with paypal prepayment. Not just easier but also substantially cheaper.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I think there might be a tiny clue in his name. ;)

13. Pooshka macrumors 65816

14. dav146 macrumors regular

dav146

Turn By Turn

It seems people have stopped asking for turn by turn directions??

All I want is a decent version of Sat Nav. If Apple would add turn by turn - and the ability to have 'Always Heading Up' the iPhone would take an even bigger lead in the market. The app would also have to self correct when you take a wrong turn (or maybe avoid roadworks). The current maps app is OK if you are on foot - but crap if you are in the car!

Hell, I would prob even consider paying 3rd party company (such as TomTom) if the App was good enough.

Even better if you could add speed camera support - maybe at additional cost?

15. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

It will be a big update, this is obvious just by the version number floating around

Original 1,1
    3G 1,2

New iPhone 2,1

This isn't going to be a memory bump and new colors. There's a lot more here suga.

16. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

How do u wacth tv over the internet then????

17. rainmanbk macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

This guy is definitely right. I believe the reason the 3G model was assigned 1,2 version number was because the core functionality of the phone, aside from GPS was the same. The 3G implementation, like someone said before, was not a feature but a standard that wasn't previously met. Once that requirement was fulfilled, Apple was free to spend time working on other hardware features. Things people wanted like front-facing camera, or a higher quality camera are the type of things that will eventually be added, but that are not crucial to the success of the device. Apple has an almost magical way of implementing the features they deem necessary, so the amount of time they take to implement them is determined by their progress meeting their standards.

It will be interesting to see what Apple implements aside from probable battery life improvements and flash memory expansion.

18. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I predict:

Something out of the world technology that no one ever expected - and people will love it :D

19. shahni2 macrumors newbie

summer release will be a major firmware update, multi-core processor

folks, apple bought PA Semiconductor last year. PA semi makes low power consumption arm multi-core processor chips. From what I've heard and read, Apple has been testing various chip designs for the upcoming release. Hopefully this will mean:
    - much better battery life
    - graphics and speed improvement to support even better gaming and other graphical intensive applications. :D

The original iphone and iphone 3g are not currently using the PA semi chips, they are currently using the PowerVR GPU from Imagination Technology.

20. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

Many people look this over but I really would like to see a MESSAGE INDICATOR LIGHT! I think this would be so simple to implement, not wear down battery very much at all and very useful!

21. MDePew24 macrumors regular

MDePew24

GetAudiHere - I agree with the message light. Something that would be nice to see and it's a small change.

22. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

LOL

23. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Yup. The MMS app is good given the limitations of the SDK, but it's not "proper" MMS by any stretch of the imagination. Getting notifications by text and your pin changing sometimes is... clumsy, to say the least.

I imagine you can't tell us, but I'm amazed since it's potential extra revenue for O2 that the carriers haven't been screaming at Apple to implement MMS properly, given it should be trivial for them to do...

Phazer