My Thoughts on Lion's Superficial Problems

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by slieu92, Jul 21, 2011.

1. slieu92 macrumors regular

I've installed it on a partition on my 2011 mbp and it's just as fast and bug-free (haven't installed any applications yet, it's bare bones OSX) as 10.6.8. And it has pretty stock wallpaper. But that's where it ends.

I realized that Apple introduced Lion with the phrase "back to mac" (something like that) because they wanted to make their PC's just as simply and easy (maybe even as profitable) to use as their mobile products, but I didn't think they would take it this far.

So they decided that "command spacebar" was not fast enough at launching an application and that "command shift a" was too complicated so they made launch pad. It is redundant. It is useless. And above all it is a gimmick for the potential windows switcher.

And then there's mission control. It is the deformed and mentally challenged child of spaces and expose. It is counter-productive from the applications and ideas that spaces and expose provided. A simple "option arrowkey" or "option #" would take me to the whichever desktop I needed to be on. But now we have to "control uparrow" then use the trackpad/mouse to click on a roll of desktops in order to enter another space. I initially switched to OSX because of spaces, it enticed me with an uncluttered and open user interface to use my applications. Furthermore, I could assign applications to a certain space and have them open uncluttered by another application.

It seems like every thing I do on Lion comes with it's own chic animation. Lion is a whole lot of bells and whistles that make the bike less enjoyable to ride. But nice to look at.

Not like Steve Jobs was going to read this. I had to post it somewhere. :(
    Any feedback? Questions? Comments? Criticisms?

2. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

same general reaction... I'm absolutely dismayed at mission control

3. slieu92 thread starter macrumors regular

4. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

Lion means I'd forever have to give up my beloved control-arrow/option-arrow spaces hotkeys?

I may not have used them all the time, but they were a magnificent help when I really wanted to change gears with what I was doing on the screen without loosing any of the work I'd accomplished.

5. slieu92 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, spaces is now controlled by mission control, which lays the spaces out linearly. But I have found a remedy, in system preferences->keyboard->keyboard shortcuts, you can assign keystrokes such as "option 2" to go to the second space.

6. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

Launchpad may be a gimmick but so are a lot of the nice touch features that we have in Lion. Stacks? Why would you use them instead of a folder in the dock or going into finder. I know that you've read this but since it hasn't sunk in, if you don't like Launchpad, don't use it. I know that I most likely won't either but that doesn't mean I'm going to complain about it existing. We still have spotlight the dock finder as well as application launchers if you want them.

I'm assuming you also don't like gestures since you're working entirely from the keyboard. As far as I know, I thought you could still use keyboard shortcuts to move linearly through your spaces, but not directly to one. It may be buried in system preferences but I'm pretty sure it's there. Unless you don't have a trackpad, a four finger swipe is just as easy as option -> to switch spaces IMHO.