My thoughts on new features:

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macman756, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Hey guys,

I wrote these two notes to express my thoughts on the rumored new features of the 09 iPhone.

Features I want to see:

"Top 5 Hardware and Software Features the 2009 iPhone Should Have"

The iPhone has become one of the best phones ever created, outselling the RAZR, having sold over 13 million since it's launch in June of 2007. Now that the iPhone 3G has been out for 6 months, people are looking for the next major update to have some new features in both the Hardware itself and the Operating System. Here are 5 features the new iPhone should have:

1. Better camera, more megapixels, flash and video recording

The current camera on the iPhone is mediocre at best-2MP on a smartphone is nothing great It should have at least a 3.2MP or better, with Flash, Zoom and Video recording, (which I have had on every one of my free cell phones)

2. Tethering

Around the first week of the App Store, a great little app called "Netshare" enabled free tethering, using the iPhone as a 3G modem. Apparently, free tethering doesn't roll with AT&T, as it was pulled that same day. So allow tethering on the iPhone, preferably free.

3. Copy and Paste

Copy and paste needs to be on the iPhone, as a native feature. A smartphone needs to be able to do almost everything a laptop can do, which includes copying text from emails into Notes and so forth.

4. Flash

Apple and Adobe need to play nice. Adobe currently holds the license to distribute Flash players from Macromedia, As of now, Apple has decided to not have a Flash player on the iPhone, assuming Embedded is fine, (Youtube). Without this feature, the iPhone cannot play Hulu.com videos, load flashed-based websites, or play a video that is not its native Quicktime format or Embedded video.

5. MMS Messaging

The iPhone needs to be able to send Pictures, Video and Audio via text messaging. Not everybody has a data plan for their cell phone, so emailing a picture is not always possible. Adding MMS would be huge for those with a regular cell phone, wishing to upgrade to the iPhone without losing any features of their old phone.

5.5 Increased Storage

Hey, Apple did 5.5 with the iPod video, why can't I? Anyways, a big downside to the iPhone is its limited 16GB of internal storage. The iPod Touch has 32GB, because it has two slots for NAND chips, while the iPhone only has one (the other is used for communication electronics). So it would have to be one 32GB NAND Chip, which was announced late last year, and should be shipping sometime near the end of the First Quarter of this year. So look for a 32GB iPhone this summer and 64GB Touch in September hopefully.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features I do not want to see:

Top 5 Features the 2009 iPhone Should NOT Have

Here are 5 features people want on the iPhone, which I think are either not necessary or would make the phone cheap, right up there with the Dare or Storm. OK, here we go, and don't think I'm hating on those who want it to have features similar to a Windows-based smartphone, OK Fine, I am. Anyways, Here goes:

1. Bluetooth
    Right now, the iPhone has Bluetooth, but only for a Bluetooth headset, no file transfers. The iPhone is a revolutionary device, having technology way beyond Bluetooth, (which is maxed out at 33 feet). It does not need to have Bluetooth Contacts syncing or file transfers. MobileMe syncs Contacts, Safari bookmarks and Calenders over WIFI or even 3G and Edge, so anywhere in the world, not even close to a computer, it will sync all that, and file transfers over BT? Nope, it has Wifi, eventually Apple will use Wifi for syncing that and maybe even Music and Pictures. Bluetooth is such a small and almost useless feature on a phone, for anything beyond Headsets that is. Moving on...

2. Front Facing Camera
    Not every iPhone user is a 13 year middle schooler taking thousands of useless pictures of themselves for Myspace and Facebook. It's got a camera on the back, use that for taking pictures of other people or landscapes, You don't need a camera on the front to take a picture of yourself. That is why there are mirrors. Consult your local restroom. OK, but a front facing camera can be used for other things, like Skype or iChat AV video conferencing. Ahh! look at the word Video in that last sentence. When Apple puts a Video Recorder in the camera, call me and we'll take about Video conferencing. But as of now, a front facing camera is pointless.

3. Haptic Feedback
    Oh gosh, Haptic Feedback, which makes a small vibration when you touch the screen, appearing as if your touching a real button. Nope, I don't want my phone vibrating every time I touch the thing. That is just gay, it's on the LG Voyager and many other phones on the market. Check out the Voyager and tell me its not gay. Plus, in order to make a vibration, the phone must power a motor, which would use up battery, which it needs as much as it can get. And now, my personal favorite:

4. Removable Battery
    Come on people! A removable battery would add so much more physical size to the iPhone. Look at the new 17" Unibody MBP. Once they made the battery internal, they saved so much room for more cells, hence longer battery life. If you add a removable battery, it would either add so much more physical size it would be fat, ugly and no longer sleek or have to compromise battery size to incorporate the mechanisms for the latch, hinge and structure, it would lose so much battery run time.. The iPod has been out for over 7 years, it does not have a removable battery, and nobody has bitched about that before. Plus, the 3G's battery is not soldered in, so anybody with a little electronic experience could pop it open and replace it themselves.

5. FM Transmitter
    OK, an FM Transmitter is probably the most useless feature to put on the iPhone. Right now I have the iHeartRadio app and I have my choice of over 100 Radio stations, I don't have to worry about reception, driving and getting put of the band range, etc. Apple has never done a Radio Transmitter in an iPod or iPhone, exempt for the Radio Remote. It is a feature that would make the iPhone seem cheap. Google cheap MP3 player and you will find dozens of little players that have between 1GB and 8GB of storage and cost under $75, all of em have FM transmitters. See what I mean about Apple staying out of the Cheap-o market?

That about sums it up. Feel free to leave a comment with any input you might have.

2. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

My thought: Why did you feel that you needed to double post? Why not just put it all in one?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Thanks for taking the time to compile a list of frequently discussed wants and do-not wants for the iPhone. The countless threads around here weren't enough of a reminder.

5. slapppy macrumors 65816

Why bother

Thanks for the list, but as you can see, 16 months or so later, Apple doesn't really give a hoot to what we want. Fortunately Palm Pre will be giving us everything we want, along with the iPhone UI to boot. :)

6. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Wasn't sure how many characters each post could have, this is one page in Pages, but if it helps you sleep at night, I'll combine em into one.

7. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

No problem.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's the problem, you're using Pages.

9. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

I would love MMS and the new video camera. Wouldn't it make sense for them to implement the front facing camera for video conferencing in the same model that may be coming out this year? We can't always afford to buy every single iPhone model.

10. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Well, Apple isn't going to look at this, its just here for informational purposes and to hopefully cut down on useless threads.

11. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

What is wrong with Pages? Beats the heck outta Word!

12. Nadav macrumors regular

I don't think you realize that this is one of those useless threads...

13. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Thanks, But this is combining em all. Sorry is you don't like it

14. tooosmoth184 macrumors newbie

Good God. Are all gay people this bitchy? Being straight myself I don't know what to expect with you people

15. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

A little over-the-top, but I'm just stating features.

16. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

well i think all people deserves bluetooth and more if is already on the hardware. i dont want to carry an iphone "to show off" the apple logo!. i want to share contents if possible with my friends without looking if its the x brand and brows the internet with quality. then why not make that a reality?

17. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Not to discourage you, but why would any of us care about your thoughts when the same material has already been mentioned countless times?

18. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

19. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

20. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

The Five Things I want on the next iPhone:

1. A good video camera

2. A Phaser

3. An industrial laser

4. A cloaking device

5. A teleportation device

Here's why, I could use the teleportation device to teleport myself to where you live, then activate the cloaking device, use the industrial laser to cut my way in, vaporize you with the phaser and record it on You-tube as a cautionary tale to all those that would compile list of what they want as if anyone cares. 8P

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

no, no it won't. but good luck with that.

Now then, which way to the wasteland?

22. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

If you're referring to my blog post then thanks!

Not bad for a late night caffiene deficient rant from a wannabe fan'sheep'boy eh?

:D

23. Nadav macrumors regular

I'm straight, and you should really be more open minded. You give straight people a bad name... I don't really see how sexual orientation has anything to do with this thread.

24. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yes, we should put all these lists into a cyber time capsule. We can open them up in 1-2 years to see exactly what features have been adopted. Actually, that might be kinda depressing... :(