My thoughts on Otterbox Commuter for iPhone 5 (pics)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Brettka7, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Brettka7 macrumors regular

Just picked one up. As with all Otterbox cases, it feels very substantial. Feels like a $35 case, unlike it's Griffin and InCase competitors (IMO. InCase used to be at the top of my list but I haven't used them since a couple bad 3G cases.) the rubber is thick, the plastic is thick, feels like plastic-coated metal but is still easy to remove and install. Power button is very stiff with the case on, not sure if it will change. Flaps at the bottom are thick enough to endure opening and closing for at least a year. The cut isn't absolutely perfect (some edges left over from manufacturing), so I sent a request to have the rubber replaced. I think this case will be here to stay for a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

3. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

I have nerve and blood flow problems, my hands lose grip at any time, so fast I can't tighten them enough for the phone to not drop. I need the bulk at those times.

4. cole01 macrumors 6502

Looks great. Loved the commuter for my 4S and will definitely be picking one of these up when I get my i5.

5. iMule macrumors 6502

6. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

Got it at Verizon wireless, they also had lighting USB cables

7. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

8. Longo macrumors newbie

Commuter is a solid case...no doubt...just bulky

With the ip5 being made of metal...
    Im going to downsize my case.

9. tim100 macrumors 65816

i got one. i like it but find it too bulky. alot of the apple podcasts have been negative on cases, they say it ruins the design. looking for a thinner case.

10. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I purposely didn't order the commuter since it's definitely not a very attractive case including it being kinda bulky. Otherwise, I'm looking for the same.

11. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

These cases are really not bulky at al..
    They are one of my favs so far on all my ip.

12. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, it's only as thick as my griffin élan graphite for my iphone 4. If the back of the otterbox had a carbon fiber look it would honestly be a good looking case.

13. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

My thoughts were the opposite. Steel and glass are both stronger than aluminum, especially when the steel is the frame. The aluminum iPhone 5 is asking to be bent, damaging internal components or cracking the screen from pressure. On the 4/4S you just needed energy absorption. On the 5 you need rigidity and absorption.

14. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

15. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

I tried it out yesterday, at Verizon. Otterbox cases have always been bulky, and that helps a lot with the protection. However, this case seems to either be slimmer than it's previous versions, or just slimmer due to the iphone being slimmer. It seems like a great case, that not too thick, considering the amount of protection it offers. I chose to get the slimmer, more attractive Griffin Reveal case, because I want to be able to see, what I think to be, the most attractive mobile device ever. If I ever scratch and damage my iPhone 5, I'm paying the $49 replacement through Apple Care +, then I will buy one of these cases.

16. chrisvee macrumors regular

I just got an Otterbox Commuter for about $35 CDN, and it's great for the price. I plan to use my iPhone naked-ish (with a BestSkinsEver skin) most of the time, but for other times when I feel that I need that extra protection, the Commuter will definitely be my go-to case.

Like the OP said, both the rubber skin and hard shell feel quite thick, and definitely do its job to protect your phone. It does add quite a bit of bulk, but it's hard to find a thin case that adds this level of protection. And compared to the Defender, the Commuter isn't too bad. Oh, and another thing, it comes with a standard screen protector.

Also, to compliment the OP's photos — here are some of the case disassembled and minus the iPhone. (Taken by my iPhone 5 :))

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. duhyes macrumors member

is the screen protector that came with the otterbox commuter good?

does it scratch easily? no fingerprints its not noticeable that you have a screen protector? does it effect the look of the original iphone 5 screen?

18. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

Update:

I have given this case hell. I'd say I dropped it at 50-100 times. Somehow, still not a scratch or dent on the plastic. The very outer coating of the rubber is starting to peel a bit, especially on the sleep button. The only part where plastic touches the phone is around the speaker and mic, and dirt and grit did get in there and mar the phone. Since then, I've gotten in the habit of pushing the phone toward the top of the case after putting the case on and no new scuffs have appeared. The only part of the case that has begun to stretch out, even with removal every day for cleaning, is the flap over the lightning port. It still stays in snugly, it just droops a bit now. I'm still very satisfied with this case.

19. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

20. naths macrumors 6502

I'v got the glacier colour, great case, very protective and not to big on the phone, the only problem i'm having is the rubber part has become a bit floppy along the bottom edge wher it goes under the home buy yon, apart from that is a great case....