My thoughts on the different screens used in MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PDE, Jun 3, 2008.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

I'm sitting here with my replacement MBP from amazon - it's the first time I've had a 9c82 (Chimei) display.....

I now have three MBPs on my desk, each with a different LCD: my friend's LG, and my Chimei and AUO.

What can I say? they're all differently bad, or differently good. None of them great.

The Chimei looks best in daily usage when I am not watching DVDs: whites are crisp, viewing angles pretty good and generally looks evenly illuminated throughout. Unfortunately, when I try to watch a film, there is all sorts of weird and awful backlight bleeding going on - top, bottom, side, middle. It can only be described as awful and ugly. I'll try to post a picture later. It also has a very slight shadow in the left lower side that radiates up a few inches. So, if I never watched films, this display would be my preference. Too bad I often watch DVDs and like to lay in bed with my mbp!

The LG look good in daily usage, but has a slight yellowish cast throughout that I haven't been able to calibrate away without having uneven color hues instead (upper part shows crisp whites, lower yellowish warm whites) - I prefer a consistent and therefore predictable color hue throughout. Like the Chimei, it's fairly evenly illuminated with few uneven patches, but it also has bad bleeding when watching movies, especially on top, below and in the middle where there is a large darker area. Look ugly, but not as bad as the Chimei.

The AUO is my general preference, but it is noticeably lower in contrast, has a shadow on the lower left side and has developed those awful vertical light beams that many people have now. Otherwise, it's a very nice display with even illumination,good viewing angles, very little bleed against dark backgrounds and just generally of relatively high quality.

I have to say that I'm really not impressed with Apple laptop displays these days. There is far too much variance between the manufacturers for my liking and I feel like it's just a lottery what you get. we should be able to expect relatively even quality at this price point.

Oh, one last thing: the keyboard on the latest MBP is different from all other MBPs I've had. It's not shiny, but rather a little matte and almost textured, a little bit 'sticky'. Not very nice at all when trying to type fast. Another inconsistency in apple's products.

2. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I'm new to the macbook pro. How do you check which display your laptop is equipped with. I couldn't find it under system profile/graphics/displays.

Mine seems to be pretty good overall so I'm happy about that.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Display-->Color-->Color LCD

Open Profile-->Line 13

Hex in model (the last 4 digits)