My thoughts on the new data plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kodek, Jun 2, 2010.

1. kodek macrumors member

I don't see why data caps are really necessary. From what I'm seeing on this thread , people aren't using data that much. In that case, there is no need to cap them at some arbitrary value. Even if they say that 98% of their users won't be affected--they don't use more than 2 GB--, it still means that 2% are getting screwed.

I've been doing some calculations, and I just don't understand why the cap is in place (other than for increasing revenue, of course).

AT&T always says that the minority of their users are using the majority of the bandwidth. From what I'm seeing from different threads, most people aren't using more than 2 GB, and the people who are, are using at most 10 GB. Of course, there's a few people who do go over 10 GB, but they're so rare that they're pretty much statistically insignificant, and if AT&T wanted to, they could terminate their accounts as they're probably voilating their very generic terms of use in the contract, but that's a different discussion.

Assuming that 98% of AT&T's users are using at most 2 GB, and the rest are using 5 times as much bandwidth, then by forcing the 2% to not use more than 2 GB, they're only reducing network bandwidth by 8%. I don't think freeing up 8% of the network is worth annoying so many customers. Besides, for the entire 2% to use the majority of the network, as they often say, they'd have to use more than 52 GB a month. And since most of us don't even get close to 2 GB a month, the number is even higher.

Luckily we still have the choice of keeping our unlimited plan. For $5 more a month, we can be sure we'll never need a higher plan, especially since there doesn't seem to be a higher plan than 3 GB for $35 (DataPro plus $10 for the extra GB). I hope all this means we'll be getting more as consumers, besides the $5 "discount."

2. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

"Thoughts on AT&T" by Steve Jobs

Coming soon...

3. kodek thread starter macrumors member

It'd be really great if he wrote a letter about it. I remember when he wrote his letter on DRM. He pretty much said it sucked for everybody, but they were forced to use it. Funny how they stopped using it as soon as they could.

4. lovemyipad macrumors member

Lol can't wait to hear that.

I bet he's going be like "ATT DATA PLANS...ITS MAGICAL!"

5. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I really hope Steve will step in and disapprove of this whole ATT ordeal.

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Won't happen until the iPhone is on another carrier.

7. kodek thread starter macrumors member

I remember when the iPhone was first announced. Cingular's CEO went on stage and said that with Apple, they'd show many innovations, such as visual voicemail, which had just been announced. I don't think we've seen anything other than crappy service and high prices since then.

8. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

its not affecting current iPhone users, just new users. Current users now have the option to choose between the 3 plans now. Dont see how anyone is getting screwed

AT&T can now attrack new users who didnt want to pay $30 for unlimited, I know quite a few people and agree $30 is a lot, they try out the starter plan for $15 then eventually go to the $25 plan

Thats how I see it

9. kodek thread starter macrumors member

True, but from what I showed, I bet it's possible to lower the monthly fee without having to impose a data cap at all. Or at the very least make it much higher than it will be.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

This is a benefit to 95 to 98 percent of all iPhone users. The only people who this will harm are those that have been jailbreaking and tethering or those who watch a ton of video over 3G. Jobs has been talking about lowering the total cost of ownership of iPhones, so I don't see why anybody would think Steve is going to be against this.

Now I'd be willing to fight for people to have some higher cap plan or maybe unlimited for extra money, but I don't think anybody is getting screwed. The people barely using any data and suffering from overloaded networks because a few people were data hogs, they were more getting screwed than anybody is now.

11. tuna macrumors 6502

I won't get in to the actual argument, but I have to say that your hypothetical is very inaccurate.

Consumer Reports had an article (that was posted as Macrumors news) about how the average iPhone used 273MB/month, 12% use over 500MB, and 4% use over 1GB. So to take these real-world numbers from a very reliable source, you only need to be using 2.7GB to be using 10x as much as the average user. And under the new plan, you only have to pay $10 / 40% more than the DataPro user to be able to use up to 3GB of data and use 10x the data of the average user.

So I guess I don't think that the real-world numbers support the idea that the new plan is in any way less fair than the old plan. A lot of people will be able to save a bunch of money by getting the $15 plan. 98% of people will be able to save a little money by getting the $25 plan. And the top 2% of data users are paying a very fair overage rate that isn't like punitive overage charges, its actually better than $25 for 2GB = $12.50/GB.

12. tuna macrumors 6502

Good point. There is definitely a group of people with iPhones who like it for texting, email, apps, visual voicemail, iPod/iTunes integration, Apple integration, etc, and aren't the type to sit around surfing the internet and watching video on the tiny screen. You can use all those iPhone features while hardly using any data. They are much better off under the new scheme.

13. kodek thread starter macrumors member

My numbers aren't inaccurate at all. I'm using real-world data from the thread I cited. In fact, that 2 GB would make it a worst-case scenario where every user that AT&T said was under 2 GB uses the entire bandwidth allocation. If we used your data, where the average user is 350 MB, and the rest used 10x as much, you'd see a 13% network bandwidth reduction. That's not that far off from my estimate, considering my estimate used 5x the bandwidth for the minority.

14. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

The caps will be helpful for ATT's network. Even if it does not stop current tethering/high-usage people from using so much data by virtue of their plans being grandfathered, it at least prevents new subscribers from being data hogs like those tethered grandfathered people are.

15. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I'm not too mad about the data rate plan updates. And honestly, I don't know if it will truly affect until I ever change over see how much im getting ripped off.

What sucks more is the iPad 3G plans. It actually makes me happy that i just got the wifi version.

If there's anything we should be complaining about it's the ridiculous text message costs....it's DATA

16. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I'm mad at the value of these new data plans. Going from 30/unlimited to 25/2gb is a very bad value. They need to bump up the data cap or lower the price and allow corporate discounts to apply. I will actually be paying more money switching to the capped plan since my discount was about 5.50 off data

17. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Too many people who abused the system, ruined it for the honest people.

18. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I don't think honesty has anything to do with it. It's about $$$

19. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Eh, I'm part of the 2% that isn't getting screwed. Know why? Because I'm keeping my unlimited data package on my phone. :D

AT&T made their own bed by forcing people buying iPhones to pay for an unlimited data package from the beginning.

Being proud of saving $5-$10 a month by being anal about usage is kind of weird...

20. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Nice. And yes, I'm sure it's in the works. He'll post it right after WWDC.