My thoughts on the new MacBook Pro after shopping around

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xxray, Nov 13, 2016.

1. xxray macrumors 6502a

I'm not anyone important, just thought I'd share my thoughts. At first, I was really disappointed in the update. Not because it wasn't "pro" enough or because Apple didn't improve it enough, but because of the price. I've been considering a new laptop since my late 2011 MacBook Pro is just so slow sometimes, and I could really use some more power. Seeing Apple increase the price for hundreds of dollars, just for a touch bar and what seemed like an incremental update was very disappointing.

So I started checking out a few Windows laptops at my local store. I enjoyed the Surface Book quite a bit and was impressed by the features. Enjoyed the touch screen, surface pen, and quality of the product. Checked out Dell XPS line. The screen and form factor were impressive. Tried out some other Windows 2-in-1s and laptops that I don't remember the names of also for a bit. There was also one of the new 13-in MacBook Pros without the touch bar there. I came back to the store multiple times, spending quite a bit of time seeing how I really felt about all the products.

Every time, I kept coming back to the new MacBook Pro. I honestly still don't like Windows (I know this is personal preference). I thought maybe I would like it better since I switched to Macs in 2010, but I don't. I just don't enjoy the feel of it. There were some problems and bugs on some of the computers I was testing out, and it just didn't feel as great of an experience to me as macOS does.

But it wasn't just Windows. None of the computers I looked at felt as premium and high quality to me as a MacBook. The Dell XPS is raved about for its build quality, but it still felt somewhat cheap to me. The Surface Book and Surface Pro came closest to Apple's build quality in my opinion, but it still just didn't feel as high quality to me.

The new MacBook Pro's screen was brighter and had more vibrant colors than any other screen that I saw. I love the new keyboard. The huge trackpad is a big upgrade. Not only does the MBP look better than any of the other computers, it just feels better. Also, I know you guys love to hate on Apple for choosing thin and light over insane performance, but wow, that computer is thin and light! It's impressive. For the performance it's going to be packing in that small of a form factor, it's crazy. The fact that I could get a new 15" MBP that is half a pound lighter, and that much thinner and smaller than my current 13" MBP, it's pretty mind-blowing. I honestly would appreciate the "thin and lightness" very much, as I'm constantly on-the-go with my current MBP. Not to mention, the MacBook Pro is supposed to have the best battery life out of the Surface Pro, Surface Book, and Dell XPS which would also be greatly appreciated.

In conclusion, although the new MacBook Pro seems way overpriced and disappointing at first, no other computers seem to be able to compare to the experience the MBP offers. Whether it's the build quality, screen, battery life, trackpad, form factor, or whatever, the MBP seems to offer a better experience in every category. And I haven't even had the chance to try out the new touch bar yet.

If you don't mind Windows, don't care as much about how the product feels, just need a computer to get the job done, need a touch screen, or want to save money, then by all means, go for a Windows computer. But if you're willing to spend the extra money and deal with dongles, the new MacBook Pro offers a far better experience than any other portable computer in my opinion.

2. jermwhl macrumors regular

jermwhl

I started almost regretful that I preordered the new MBP (15") as I was not a fan of "dongling" it. But the more I think about it, the more I realize I'm not going to need many dongles at all. I bought one of those little usb-c hubs that has an SD card reader and a few usb-a ports on them. It's so small it takes up unnoticeable amounts of room in my backpack, so that won't be an issue. I've already upgraded to a USB-C backup drive. Other than that, I grabbed a USB-C to Lightning cable for the few times I'll sync/backup my iPhone to my computer and a USB-C to USB-A dongle just in case I have a random cable I need to connect and don't feel like connecting the USB-C hub (just forecasting that potential issue). I really can't think of any other devices I'm going to need, personally.
    I realize some people want an HDMI port or SD card slot built-in. And that is understandable. But this MBP is clearly going to be an early adopter device. Once USB-C catches on, I think most other ports will go away anyway. I can see HDMI being replaced by this format. Maybe not SD though. That will probably stick around for awhile.

3. GoodOne macrumors regular

Exactly.

I'm not in it for MacOs, in fact I run Windows on my MBP but really the build quality of Apple Products is still unmatched. These are just absolutely stunning products and it's lovely to work with every single day.

4. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

There may be some amount of personal taste involved. I think my current-gen MBP is about as nice as my old ThinkPad, maybe a little nicer than the Dell I got from a previous job. It seems pretty comparable to my gaming laptop, to me. I like it less in some ways (I don't like that it's not even a tiny bit user-serviceable, for instance; I tend to view user-accessibility as a build quality feature), but more in others.

I haven't had long-term experience with the new keyboards yet. The little experience I had of them, they have felt pretty thoroughly worse. I loved the keyboard on my ThinkPad.

5. motime macrumors 6502

Why do you even need to compare the new over priced MacBook to windows laptops? Why not compare it to the 2015 MacBook pro? Which is still an excellent machine that flies, has an awesome keyboard and all the ports you would need. Why on earth would any sane person want to upgrade beyond 2015?

I would wait till the next MacBook offering, as of right now it is obvious that 2015 models are the best value for money and they deliver an excellent mac OS experience. They are also a matured product with all the problems worked out over the 4 years or so. Totally new designs take a little time to settle down.

6. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

In my case: I spend a lot of the time with my Mac clamshell connected to a large monitor. CPU and GPU performance are significant to me, and I didn't really want to buy a year and a half old CPU.

That said, I think you may be right, and it might be I should have gone with the older model for at least one of the machines.

7. motime, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

motime macrumors 6502

Yes, you might be one of the people who could use the marginal gains. I would say that for 99% of the people purchasing the new MacBooks, the performance of last gens MacBooks are more than adequate, but people love to splurge on shiny new things.