My thoughts on the "overdue" iMac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Connecticut, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Connecticut macrumors newbie

I was gonna recently purchase an :apple: iMac until I heard they are overdue for an upgrade. Now everyone is saying there gonna have to wait until October or whenever the new OS comes out, well here's my theory...Apple is all about money, so wouldnt it make more sense on the business tip to release the new iMac with out the new OS system so that people would have to pay more for the new OS?

I'm biting my nails over this wait, I want a iMac so bad...I'm in school for Recording Arts and I want my Apple to work on my audio production and projects.

CMON APPLE - STOP MAKKKKING US WAIT!!!:mad: :mad:

If you had to guess a release time for the new iMac what would you say?
    Im really hoping no later than July....please god!!

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

there will be a new imac when there are new chips to put in. They won't wait for leopard. Apple has never, ever done things that way (delaying hardware to coincide with OS releases). All of this speculation is totally unfounded and should not be taken seriously.

3. Connecticut thread starter macrumors newbie

i mean they already got quad processors out...so whats the wait?

4. iBunny macrumors 65816

I think we will see quad core... everyone says its not feasable in the current enclosure and they are correct. I think we will see something like a Mac Mini just 2x the size... with the monitor directly on top connected with a hinge... so you can view it like a montior, and bend it tword you to use it as a touch screen.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Welcome to the blessing and curse of MR. It's nice to get good info and such, but when you hear about new stuff you can't HELP but wanna wait for the latest and greatest :eek: I'm in the same boat for a new laptop after selling my MB, but oh well, patience is rewarded.

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Well it always sucks to get something new only to have it outdated in weeks :rolleyes:

If you can't find it in yourself to buy it within the month an update is released, it is not meant to be!

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

8. robPOD macrumors 6502

Like a tablet, I dont think so for a desktop computer.

9. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Cool, like the old G4's with touch screens...

(dreams....)

YT

10. Connecticut thread starter macrumors newbie

:confused:

omg i cant wait :eek: i need a iMac....I know the second i go and buy it the new one will come out.....what do i do:confused: :confused:

11. InWake macrumors newbie

12. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Do you have a Mac? Enjoy it for now.

Don't have a Mac? Buy a cheap one and wait until the iMac is updated and just sell it.

13. supersoundgeek macrumors newbie

Don't bother-Mac Pro w/an edu discount is the way to go-most pro-strength audio apps require lots of RAM, HDD space and multiple proc's for high audio track count, plugs, and virtual synths...ed. prices on quads are comp. to hi-end iMacs...Mac Pro also much more expandable for later u/g's...I were you I'd pop for a Mac Pro quad and a 'budget' LCD monitor (or two)...save that $$ you'd spend on visual aesthetics of a top-of-line 24" iMac, and use it more wisely for plug-ins, audio interfaces and virtual synths!!!

14. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

I think they should stick full desktop parts in their next imac... i mean.. they got a G5 in there right?

A liquid cooled conroe and desktop memory would be way cool!

15. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

I hope they come in about July time or August hoefully :)

16. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

you are right and the G5 they had in there ran a lot hotter than a Core 2 Quad too, the imac is limited by laptop components that have no place in a desktop computer.

17. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

True. Of course, any computer is outdated within a few months anyway, so the pain is only a few weeks longer.

18. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Nothing will probably be announced until WWDC '07 which is still over a month away.

Patience :)

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well, i mostly agree (I was one of the people who ranted for weeks on this board when the imac got merom instead of conroe), but liquid cooling scares me. Those old liquid-cooled G5s seem to have had a lot more problems (including mold growing due to leaking) than the air-cooled G5s. That said, unless apple comes out with a mid-range tower (which I firmly believe they will not), they should give the imac desktop components.

20. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

I posted this cut and paste mock up in another thread. Its not really what I think will happen but I would buy one.

Here is a link to the original thread which has a few other designs as well.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=296711&page=8

Attached Files: