My Three Problems with Buying iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JGShort, Dec 19, 2007.

1. JGShort macrumors newbie

I am one who agrees that the iPhone is a pretty cool unit. In fact, it is almost more than I can stand. The iPhone is compact and very cool and I want one right now (or at least for Christmas)! but I have three problems with it:

1. Its initial purchase price - The phone itself at $400 is somewhat expensive, but I would be over that hurdle in a couple of months, after the bills were paid.
    2. The costly monthly two-year contract - This is an ongoing expense that requires some evaluation and planning to fit it into my budget. But I am sure that I could justify it, if not for problem #3.
    3. The built in camera - Although this could be cool too, I am sure that I am not the only potential buyer out here who works at a defense industry firm where cameras are absolutely not allowed in the facility. Although it could most likely be hidden in my bag and brought without being discovered. If it were discovered, I would have a strong risk of being fired. Besides, if I had something as cool as the iPhone, I would most certainly want to "show off" a bit to my peers rather than to keep it hidden. It is not worth the risk of being fired.

I think it would be helpful to Apple's business and customers if they could offer an iPhone without that built-in camera. I have heard of options for removing the camera, either do-it-yourself or for a fee, but this would risk breaking a costly device and also voiding the warranty. It goes against my principles to pay an extra cost for something less.

Please, Apple, offer an iPhone without the camera, and I will buy at least two of them instantly.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

"Less?"

It would be a phone you could take to work vs. a phone you couldn't take to work.

In my book that's "more" not "less."

I agree that Apple should offer the iPhone (along with iMacs and Macbooks) without cameras. But why shouldn't you pay more? They have to go out of their way to make a custom item with limited appeal. Of course they should charge more for that.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

iResQ will remove the camera from the iPhone for $100, which includes overnight shipping both ways, but I understand what you're saying about not wanting to pay more to get less. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see an iPhone without a camera.

4. JGShort thread starter macrumors newbie

Since this would void the standard Apple warranty, does iresq include their own warranty? And, would this satisfy a security guard who possibly knows enough to search for an iPhone with camera but may not know how to verify that mine does not have one?

I am also aware that on the www.ifixit.com website there are instructions on how to replace a faulty camera. I suppose that these could also be used to remove one. If I do it myself, I would avoid having to pay. The process does not look too complex, but it would clearly void the warranty. Has anyone tried it and have anything to report? Would it satisfy a typical security guard?

5. JGShort thread starter macrumors newbie

As long as the added fee was not excessive and the warranty was still valid, I might consider it.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It has no push e-mail of any kind, no wireless syncing of calendars or contacts. In short, it is not a business device. The camera is the least of the problems.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So, aside of the price, the 2 year contract and one of its most desireable features, it's the perfect phone for you. :rolleyes:

8. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

But the quality of the camera is so low, it'd be hard to make anything out anyway!
    And also, $400 is better than the ~$550 we pay here.

9. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

I would suggest you get a blackberry or treo.

When I used to frequent courts and gov't buldings where cameras werent permissable leaving my phone at the front desk was a pain.

10. JGShort thread starter macrumors newbie

I am searching for a personal device, and for that purpose, the iPhone's price, contract, and camera are the main obstacles. I realize that a phone that is perfect in every way does not exist, but it does seem to me that the current iPhone is closer to the mark than any other I have seen. (Of course, there is always the possibility that a "cooler" unit will appear on the market between the time I buy one and before I can even get it home and activated.:) )

In my personal life, I select and use Apple computer equipment because it does what I need to do, is not excessively expensive for me, and I enjoy the way Mac OS works for me. I like to use a device that will make my life more enjoyable without creating additional complications.

However, my work life is a different story. There, I have to use Windows-based computers and applications. It is not a lot of fun, but it is not my money that buys the equipment, so I have learned to live with it. Macs are not perfect systems, but they are closer to perfect and they continue to improve with each generation at a faster pace than the Windows systems do.

I see the choice of phones to be a similar one of selecting one which meets my own personal needs, fits my budget, and is fun to use without creating complications of its own. If my employer were to decide they wanted me to have a business phone such as Blackberry or Treo, it would be up to them to supply it to me at their expense.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm confused. The phone isn't what you need right? Don't buy it. It seems as though you're looking at the form of it thinking that's why you want it but you're not happy with the function. I'm thinking there are at least a dozen other phones out there that will suit your immediate needs. I guess I'm confused. If you have three problems with buying one who is twisting your arm? I don't see there is anyone telling you that this is the only phone you can use but I could be wrong. I had three things I wanted on the iPhone but I figured if I could not live without them then I would just not buy the phone. Turns out I can live without them but they are nice-to-haves.

12. JGShort thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have successfully lived more than 50 years without an iPhone, and in fact, do not currently have any cell phone at all. And yes, you are right, I can go on living just fine without. It is just the iPhone does look cool and does have some other features that would be nice to have if only ... maybe someday the right one will come along with all the right stuff and no wrong stuff.

13. Project macrumors 68020

Not quite true.

Depends on what you mean by business. Will it work nicely with Exchange server, OTA sync, remote wipe etc? No. But businesses which require these as a necessity are the minority. Mainly enterprises.

14. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Also, not a bluetooth modem.
    Only works with one carrier in the U.S.
    8GB is too small.

15. JGShort thread starter macrumors newbie

These are not really concerns to me, at least not in the top three.

I would be curious to hear a report from any iPhone owner of the experience who has had the camera removed. Does it work for you? Was it worth the trouble?

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

For anyone who think 8gb is too small. Have you looked at comparable phones in the same price range? NO PHONES IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE HAS ANYWHERE NEAR 8Gb OF STORAGE!

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

JGShort...

buy the iPhone and "enjoy it" then put your "THUMB" over the camera, so that it seems that you don't have a camera. Remember to carry your SONY Cybershot 8.1 then email it to yourself after you've taken the jpeg to Photoshop CS and fixed it up, and "POOF" you've got the perfect pic that can be placed in your iPhoto Album and added to your iPhone. So, your three problems are no longer "your" problems, 'cause it sounds like you've already resolved the first two problems and you'll have your iPhone by Xmas. :cool:

18. chriswitt macrumors member

What about just contacting the head of Security, showing them how you had the camera removed, and get his/her "OK" to have the phone. Or should I say, tell them how you want to get the phone and have the camera removed.

Then you wouldn't have to worry about being fired, because you're working *with* them, not against them.

Seems like it's worth a shot; losing my job would be the primary concern for me.

This doesn't help with the warranty question you posed, but that would be (for me) second to the "losing your job" part.

Good luck!

19. mpw Guest

They let you work in a secure area of a defense contractor, yet you get giddy at the idea of showing off you new tech toys? :D