My time capsule disk drive won't show in "my computer"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by btallada9870, Aug 12, 2008.

1. btallada9870 macrumors member

Hey,

I have a time capsule, and I have it set up so that I can wirelessly print from my desktop, with windows xp, and 2 laptops with windows vista. All computers can get internet, and print wirelessly to the printer hooked up to the time capsule. However, only the laptops can access the time capsule disk drive. On my XP desktop, I cannot figure out how to make the disk drive re-appear in "my computer".

If anyone has any idea how I could fix this problem, that would be great!

Thank you.

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Time Capsule is formatted for use with OS X which Windows cannot natively read or write to.

So you need a program like MacWrite or Paragon NTFS (or others) that will allow you to read an OS X-formatted partition under Windows.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

This is simply not true. Although the hard drive in the Time Capsule is formatted HFS+, it's actually the Time Capsule itself that handles the connection between computers and the hard drive, and allows both Macs and Windows computers to read and write to it using AFP or SMB respectively.

I have both Windows XP desktops and Windows Vista Laptops able to communicate with the TC and mount/read/write to the HDD. This is what I did:

First is to make sure that the Workgroup that my machine is a part of is the same Workgroup that is entered in the TC's setup. In AirPort Utility, go to Manual Setup > Disks > File Sharing. In this section, you will find a place to include the Workgroup name. Then I had to add the IP of the TC to my firewall's list of trusted networks. Enter 10.0.1.1 into this list and your computer should now be able to see it.

Second, you can install the AirPort Utility for Windows that comes on your installation disc. This includes a program called AirPort Base Station Agent that loads into your taskbar and allows your computer to access the TC's HDD.