my time capsule is almost full, what do I do???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by houssein31, Nov 9, 2013.

1. houssein31 macrumors regular

So I bought when I bought my 2 macs last summer (imac and MBA) i also bought a Airport time capsule (2TB) so that I can back up my macs. Today I see that it had already use 1.82 TB out of my 2TB, and its really weird since I dont have a lot of files. So I dont ono what to do now, do I empty it or something? (if so how do I do it) or will it do it on its own? I dont really need everything on the time capsule, like the stuff from 2-3 month ago is not important.

So what do I do?

Thanks In advance

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Don't worry.

"If your backup drive fills up
    As your backup drive begins to fill up to its capacity, Time Machine intelligently deletes the oldest backups to make room for newer ones. It also alerts you if the "Notify after old backups are deleted" option is selected in Time Machine preferences."

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427?viewlocale=en_US

3. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Secondly, there are 3TB caplsules availalbe, but then again, dont worry as old backups will be deleted automatically.

4. ColdCase, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

In other words, TimeMachine is suppose to do that as it keeps all version of your files and apps, never throwing anything away. The backup size will keep growing to a certain point near capacity where TimeMachine will start throwing out older stuff to make room for newer stuff. If you want to retain the older stuff, you will have to point TimeMachine to another drive.