My Time Machine Hard Drive failed. Need a new one. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scrib, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Scrib macrumors member

Just what the title says. It was a Western Digital My Book, 500GB. It's toast. Won't mount. I'm rather upset that I will likely lose years worth of TM backups, but oh well...

Any recommendations on a new drive? Should I stay with WD? Model? Should I stay with FW or just go USB?

FYI, it's a drive that sits on my mac mini, which sits in the basement and does all the TM backups for all my macs. The drive is shared throughout my network.

Thanks!

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Your loss may not be total.

I also had a WD MyBook Studio that got the Click Of Doom a couple of months ago. I started a thread her at MR Forums and got a few suggestions; one of them worked for me. Feel free to look through my posts for the actual thread, or MRoogle for WD External Click Of Doom.

You may want to disassemble the external drive and remove the hard drive inside, then buy another external enclosure and install the hard drive inside it. This may save your data, with significant cost savings over another MyBook.

On the other hand, if you hear a regular Click... Click... Click... you may need to replace the actual hard drive inside. It's not hard to do, and a new WD Caviar Green internal HD will do the trick, again at significant cost savings over a new MyBook.

3. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

WD drives drives have gotten bad reviews lately. All the 500GB and 1TB models have died more on people than lived, check amazon.com for best drives to buy, I just bought one Seagate 500GB Free Agent Go, got great reviews, also was the LaCie Drives. Or IoMega Drives, whether you want portable or desktop, just stick with 500gb, the 1TB or 2 in any model are not fairing well at all.

500GB Drives 4 stars and up

Just read reviews, better to not be unfortunate again.