Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
I shut down my pre-isight iMac G5 every once in a while when i go to sleep (I figure it could use some rest; is there any logic behind this?) anyway, each morning I find it's back on again! I have the setting "restart after power supply is cut off" on, but this is just a standard shut-down. Why is this happening? And should I be shutting down my cmputer, ever?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Check the Energy Saver settings, click the "Schedule" button, and make sure that the computer isn't set to wake up at some time automatically.

Also, do you have animals that might touch the keyboard or mouse at night?

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
yellow said:
Check the Energy Saver settings, click the "Schedule" button, and make sure that the computer isn't set to wake up at some time automatically.

Also, do you have animals that might touch the keyboard or mouse at night?

A mouse might be banging the mouse ;) poor things are eaily confused.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
Yellow you were right, it was set to "start up or wake" at 7 every morning.

Does anyone know if it's advantageous to leave the computer on all the time, or to give it occasional rest? Or does it just not matter.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Edit: Sorry, posted too late!

As per yellow, who posted as I was getting a screen shot ;), make sure it looks like this:

EnergySaver.jpg

ero87 said:

Does anyone know if it's advantageous to leave the computer on all the time, or to give it occasional rest? Or does it just not matter.
It's fine to leave it on, esp. if you have it sleep (at least the screen), but you'll save power if you shut it off. Note that the Mac will do some cleanup, typically at night, so if it's always off (or asleep) then, you'll need to either reschedule that or do it yourself.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
ero87 said:

Cool. Turn that off and you're good to go.

If it's Tiger, then when you wake it up, launchd will run and do the appropriate script running, so you don't really need to worry about it.

As for keeping it on all the time, sure, that's not a problem. Sleeping saves energy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.