*My* Top 10 Reasons TO Jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CocoaPuffs, Feb 10, 2009.

1. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

1. It doesn't void your warranty, DFU restore and you're set.

2. Most things do not cause the iPhone to lag considerably. Like everything else in life, use it moderately.

3. I can upgrade to the latest firmware in less than 48 hours, which actually allows me to have time to read others' feedbacks on the new firmware before I take a dive. Upgrading is easy, downgrading isn't (if possible at all).

4. AptBackup backs up most of the jailbreak apps, similar to how iTunes backs up purchased applications and preferences.

5. I can always restore or remove apps if my phone is laggy or slowing down.

6. Most themes can make the SpringBoard look crazy cool.

7. I've found that most things in life are cool at first but quickly get old fast. But JB is definitely cooler than stock.

8. SBSettings.

9. Apple is slowly loosening their grip on what the developers can do, but there is still a long list what they cannot.

10. Because considering how this list was formulated, you should really question the source.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Corretct me if I'm wrong, but the only 2 advantages over a normal iPhone that you typed in all of that are:

1) Make your phone look "crazy cool"
    2) SBSettings

You had 10 spaces to fill, and this is what you came up with?

If that's all you have then I agree that this doesn't really need to be its own topic.

3. Odid macrumors regular

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

For me SBSettings is a good enough reason for me to jailbreak.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You didn't say anything about the 8 lame reasons in the other thread......

If you don't like the topic guys then get out.

6. CocoaPuffs thread starter macrumors 68010

I agree my list is "retarded" considering its source.

7. CocoaPuffs thread starter macrumors 68010

Let's put it this way, any ONE of these reason is enough reason to jailbreak.

1. Software Unlock
    2. Tethering
    3. Need to turn on and off features

Obviously if you see no need to jailbreak, don't do it. Threads about jailbreaking are all moved to Hack threads. So here's what I don't get, why are there continuous re-posts about the perceived negativity of jailbreaking on the main iPhone forum?

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

All I'm saying is, if you have reasons like this, why are they posted way down here when your #2 reason was "use it moderately" in the first post.

You think "use it moderately" is more interesting than tethering?

The topic is fine. I think the presentation was very strange. I mean, #5 is "I can remove apps."
    That's seriously his #5 reason to Jailbrake?

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I didn't know that my thread was going to be such a big deal. I guess the only thing that really matters is... I'm happy now and my iPhone is running great. All the other stuff about PDAnet (aka breaking your AT&T contract) and stuff isn't that cool. I guess what I'm trying to say is... I'm fine with OTHER people jailbreaking their iPhones for whatever reason they want... I have my own set of reasons why I don't like it... that's all. It was kinda meant to be a review of how I felt about the whole jailbreaking thing (since I've been there way too many times to count by now). The App Store *almost* removed all incentive to jailbreak. The ONLY thing I miss about being jailbroken is being able to change some of the butt-ugly App Store apps because the developers don't know how to design a decent icon... but, I think I solved this problem a long time ago... I don't buy Apps anymore unless they LOOK nice AND work well.

10. bobamuknunbabo macrumors newbie

im going to jailbreak my iPhone very soon

when you say you can easily upgrade to the latest firmware
    what's the process for jailbroken iphones?

do i backup the apps, and upgrade from iTunes, then re-jailbreak?
    i've always wondered this and thus i havent jailbroken yet

thanks

11. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

This will seem like an amazingly newbie question, but I haven't jailbroken as of now.

Do you use WinterBoard and other themes/looks directly from the iPhone or do you have to arrange it on your computer???

Again sorry, but it is something that I haven't found a clear answer to yet. :)

12. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Directly from the phone, mate.

13. tylertech macrumors regular

You can use Cydia to browse for Themes that you want, and you can download them. You can download multiple, and change them at anytime though WinterBoard.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

I agree. The ability to quickly toggle wifi and bluetooth on and off is a feature that shouldn't require jailbreaking.

I especially like it when I'm at Starbucks: I swipe for SBSettings, next I tap wifi to turn it on, and finally, I tap 'Dock' and open my Easy Wifi for AT&T App, which connects me to the free AT&T wifi connection.
    Quick, easy, and only requires 1 swipe and 3 taps.

A better post, yes?

15. moka macrumors 6502a

SBSettings,
    Video capture and live video streaming (actually is amazing quality for a phone capture)
    Backgrounder
    Themeing

Some of the top reasons why i jailbroke after owning a first gen for one year, got tired waiting for apple and went ahead and ate it! I will continue to stay jaibroken until apple includes the above in the iphone software.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'll agree with you on that. I hate needing to tap 4 or 5 times to pair my bluetooth headset with my phone. Even my Razr had "soft keys" I could use to shorten it to two or three steps. There are many features that should have an "add to home screen" shortcut.

However, I'd take A2DP first please!

17. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Add MMS and video recording to the 'reasons to jailbreak' list.

18. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

add another one to the list:

12. Turn by Turn Directions! Finally! woot woot for jailbreaking.

and just because I can:

13. PDANet
    14. Stacks/Categories
    15. Lockscreen calendar/notifiers/weather
    16. Free Paid for apps...if you know how to do it.
    17. Video Recording
    18. MMS

19. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

most important for me is that you can remove the SIM lock. that is VERY important for frequent travellers who don't want to pay for roaming.

20. reubs macrumors 68000

SBSettings is what prompted me to restore my iPod touch. I was trying to install it so that I could SSH in to it to change some icons, and it stuck and hung and made me panic. I couldn't return to the springboard, and I had to force restart to get out of it. Then it hung on the bootscreen.

I was getting messages about an unknown node name, etc while trying to install it, so I don't know if that was the problem. Nonetheless, it's back to factory setting for me for a little bit.

21. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It's not worth all the hassle to save a few taps.

22. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Weird... Seemed like you were all for jailbreaking not too long ago.

What happened?

23. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

I'd choose slightly different language. Something along the lines of:
    1. In the vast majority of occasions, if something goes wrong you'll be able to restore the firmware to its factory default state, making it impossible for Apple to detect the fact that it ever had been jailbroken in the first place.

So, even though the fact of the matter is that the simple act of jailbreaking likely was sufficient grounds for Apple to cancel its warranty agreement, in most cases they probably won't be able to tell it happened, so it's a moot point.

By the way, jailbreaking involves making unauthorized derivative works based on copyrighted software, which is a violation of Apple's exclusive rights as copyright holder. That is a criminal offence. But again, in the vast majority of cases, Apple won't be able to tell that it happened. And even if they did, they almost certainly wouldn't bother wasting money prosecuting you for something so trivial.

24. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Same thing that happens every time I suppose.... I guess I just like my restricted FAST iPhone.

25. Surely Guest

Surely

For you.

It is for me.

Stop making generalizations.