My Top 8 of 2010, C & C Please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by flosseR, Jan 28, 2011.

1. flosseR, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

I realize that its already end of January but I figured I collect my favorite shots from last year. Here they are. I know there is plenty to criticize and i have posted the stonehenge shot before. This is the last time but I would appreciate C & C of the other shots as well... I realize I am still an amateur and still learning so guidance and feedback IS appreciated. I also realize I am nowhere near the level of Phrasikleia, Doylem, PDXflint, Compuwar etc. but hey, I try. So, anything that helps me get better shots in this godforsaken landscape we have here (nothern europe) would be great. :)

WARNING: Linked files are slightly largish..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

The first shot doesn't work well for me- the overall scene is too dark to have anything interesting to the eye and the church is too little of the scene to make a good subject. Add to that the fact that the clock's blown out and there's little detail to the scene to enjoy and I just don't think it works well. The mood is right, but the trees on the right are trying to be a leading line and failing because they're too dark and featureless. Shot nearer dawn or dusk I think it might have worked better.

In the second shot, ideally the kids would be turned around so I can see them and connect with them. Absent that, the kid in the back alone, not looking at the back of the head of the one in front would work much better- I'd probably want some fill flash on them too. It works well enough as it is though.

The third one works for what it is-- it wouldn't be bad as a stock image, but I'm not sure I'd hang it on a wall. Variations would be good too- maybe some light painting to bring the overall levels up to match the headlight trail would be interesting?

The Stonehenge shot I'd hang on a wall in a heartbeat. It's very good. I'd probably also try as a panoramic shot to narrow the focus off of the sky a bit- but that's just nitpicking. It's a killer shot.

The lightbulb shots are good- there's a lot of noise, but it's not unwelcome. I'd probably have tried to bounce a little light from behind to give a more 3D look and bring the levels up a touch. I'm also not a complete fan of the look of what seems to be a multi-led light reflection- but it's small enough that it's ok- though I might have tried a small enough aperture to star out the lights. That would have required lighting the scene though.

The board shot I'd definitely try with a background light. It's great as-is, but I think it'd be better with some light coming back at the camera. Not sure I'd light up the background though- just to get that 3D look.

I'd prefer the kid in the last shot was further to the right, with the gate on the other side of the bucket so that my eyes could travel the same direction his do- ideally for a Western viewer, the kid would be on the left facing the gate and then he'd have more room to "see" into the picture and I'd get my left-to-right comfort level going but if the lighting on the bucket isn't artificial, then it's likely the best shot you could get given the circumstances. It's still very good.

Overall, there's nothing here that isn't at least good, mostly very good. The framing/lighting on the first one doesn't work for me personally- but I can see why you shot it- so let's put that one down to taste. Any of the others I'd have been very happy with myself, and I'm my harshest critic.

Paul

3. flosseR thread starter macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Wow.. thanks.. exactly from you I would have expected a "beating" :)... thanks..

I tend to agree with the church but , if we go by taste, it somewhat works for me. The kid (mine) with the bucket was an accidental shot, I didn't realize the light until i took the shot, reframing was impossible :) But I have dark space to the left in the uncropped version.

The double rainbow is my other kid with her cousin and it was shot in the heat of a moment, the double rainbow was already fading and i shot this even handheld, no time to set up a tripod even. plus it was still raining.

The light-streak I might still play with, points taken. That was tricky shot with a 100m radio trigger to open the shutter 30second and then flooring my wife's car in order to accelerate and get across the frame.

Thanks again.

4. dlegend macrumors 6502

Your domain has expired, might want to renew it. I'd love to check out the pics once it's back.

5. flosseR thread starter macrumors 6502a

flosseR

actually i DID renew it but apparently it was too late.. should be back in a second