My Top Priority: Photoshop CS5 or Final Cut Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 337894, Jul 7, 2010.

1. 337894 Guest

I'm pretty close to buying my iMac pretty soon and to aid to the purchase, which one should be my top priority to buy? Photoshop CS5 (with an Academic Discount) or FCE (Academic discount too).

Thing is, I've been planning to do some graphic design and/or films during the summer. If I'm going the graphic design way, I'm going to need a tablet (any suggestions?).

But thing is, is iMovie sufficient enough for me right now? I'm already going to be using an HD Canon video camera (.m2ts file format) and can iMovie handle that? Or should I step up to FCE which has been long due for an update.

Or should I just stick with Photoshop CS5, buy a graphics tablet, and focus on graphic design first (and then video).

Help?

Thanks!

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

As in tablet, you mean like a Wacom tablet? As a graphic designer, you will need more than Photoshop. You will probably use Indesign and Illustrator more. Also, Dreamweaver will be utilized. My girlfriend bought the academic or student version that has DW, AI, PS and ID for like $400. You just cannot upgrade when the new one comes out.

Also, you don't "need" a tablet by any stretch of the imagination. You could get FCE instead of a tablet for now. Isn't FCE like $199?

3. Kristine macrumors 6502a

Get Adobe Master Collection (student and teacher edition) then save for your Wacom tablet as this is not essential. Don't worry about using FCE, you can use Premiere Pro from the Adobe Suite. I have both FCE and Premiere Pro (from the Master Collection), and no longer use FCE. As already stated, you cannot upgrade the academic versions of Adobe software.

4. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

As of CS5 you can upgrade the Student and Teacher Edition just fine to future versions. If you need to get the localized versions on your language besides English you have to get the Education edition though.