My touch is dead?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Muncher, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I tried applying the full redsn0w today over the tethered version. My iPod did fine until it rebooted, and now it's stuck cycling, where it will turn on, the screen will brighten, and then a waiting circle-y thingy will appear. It eventually flashes, and reboots.

I managed to get it into recovery mode, but iTunes won't restore it, even when I "option+restore" to a non-JB firmware. It says: "Firmware is not compatible." I'm using the 2.2.1 5H11a firmware for the 2G. Can anyone help me?

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

It might help if instead of recovery mode you put it in DFU mode. I tried to upgrade my 1G iPod touch to 3.0 and then subsequently decided to downgrade and the only way I could successfully restore was if it was in DFU mode. All other modes fail, so I would try that.

3. Muncher thread starter macrumors 65816

Muncher

I took it to the Genius Bar; the guy behind the counter put it in DFU mode and restored it. I had tried doing this earlier, it hadn't worked for me though, perhaps I was doing it wrong. :confused:

Thanks though,
    Muncher

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

It took me a couple of tries to get it into DFU mode. It seems to be very particular about the number of seconds you hold down the buttons, so if you hold it down for too long it won't work.

5. Muncher thread starter macrumors 65816

Muncher

Well I have pretty good timing; I can get my touch into recovery mode if I want to. I just wasn't able to get it into DFU mode.