My touch was stolen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by armyone, Jan 6, 2009.

1. armyone macrumors newbie

Today my touch was stolen and i had a passcode on it so I know they can not access anything without the passcode but can they plug it into their computer and get info that way and then resync it to their computer.

2. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

not for sure but my guess is that they wouldn't be able to get anything off the ipod if its locked unless they are good with hacking, just a guess though. Did you have it set to auto delete all info after ten failed code attempts?

3. armyone thread starter macrumors newbie

No I didnt have it set to do that. I hoping I get it back tom when we all sit down and have a lil meeting. It only sucks cause I deployed right now and it had all my username and passwords for all my internet accounts and all my contacts.

4. iRyann macrumors regular

iRyann

Serial Number/Insurance?

Just a thought, if you have the Serial Number then you could ring apple and get it blocked.
    Also if you have insurance make a claim my friend, you'll be surprised:)

5. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

So you know who took it then?
    If you don't get it back the only advice I would have is what the poster above said and if you remember your passwords change them to protect your personal info. Or go steal it back ahaha :D

By the way thanks for serving our country I appreciate what you're doing for all of us.

6. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

+1<3. not everyone is grateful of you guys. i have a cousin in the Army, just for the record.

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

No they cannot because when they try to sync it will say "failed- please enter passcode on ipod" something like that. Happened with me when i changed my touch.
    Good news: they cannot get anything out of it.
    Bad news: doesn't really help you because you lost it and can't do anything but file a police complaint- yes you can file one.

8. armyone thread starter macrumors newbie

My E7 and I think it was someone in the motor pool it played all day hooked into the stero and then about 1530 the battery died at 1700 I went to pick it up and it wasnt there. I dont have insurance on it and Im not real sure if I wrote the serial number down. Does anyone know if I can get the serial number from my apple account.

Thanks guys I love waking up and putting the flag on my right shoulder everyday.

9. TheBaldOne macrumors newbie

Hey Thank you for serving.. Everyone in North America owes you, and all of your comrades a huge debt.

10. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Except the Mexicans and Canadians?
    I appreciate it whether I agree with the government's stance, but I'll save that for the PRSI forums.

If you can get the serial, Apple should be able to block it. If I didn't have a prankster for a friend who'd lock mine and make me enter the code wrong by misleading me, I'd turn on "Erase data after 10 incorrect entries".

11. semin28 macrumors regular

My iPod touch 2g,g1 almost got stolen yesterday in gym. I locked it up in my locker then I headed up to the gym but I forgot to take my hoodie off. So I went back down only to see my friend in my locker . Some how he got the lock off but he said I didn't lock it and that he didn't know it was my stuff. Yea right he didn't know bc I'm the only one with a light up lock. So I was like what r u doing and he was like O is this your stuff and I said yea. And he was like o sorry I didn't know it was yours . Then he was like good thing I saw that the lock wasn't lock. Now days u can't trust anyone. I mean me and this dude was tight and the other day we were talking about people stealing things in the locker room. Man was I lucky to to back down.

12. armyone thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I got my ipod back. I was working on a truck and had this strange feeling i should go and look there well there it was. It wasnt there last night cause I checked twice and it wasnt there this morning cause I was the first one in the shop. but anyways I restored it because it was acting funny so I hope that helps. Thanks guys for all your help I might have to stay on this site and learn a lil about my touch.

13. biikman macrumors regular

Was there a little "friendly pursuasion" involved? :) Glad to hear you got it back, and thank you for your service!

14. armyone thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah you could say that my SFC and I had an idea on who it was and when I told him I had gotten it back he was like good cause I was about to shoot the dog crap out of all of them. It helps being the best mechanic he has in the shop out of all the lower enlisted.

15. armyone thread starter macrumors newbie

O and after I restored it and I synced my music back on there some of my album covers are not showing up they show up on itunes but not on my touch anyone have any ideas.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Deleting the songs off the Touch and resyncing sometimes works.

17. Resist macrumors 68030

Here is a thought for you, next time don't keep important information on a device that can be lost or stolen so easily.

18. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Not to give thieves any bright ideas or anything, especially since I'm sure most of the dedicated ones that know anything about this platform already are aware of this, but...

...one of the things I realized the other day is that if my iPod/iPhone gets stolen and it has a passcode on it, even though there may not be much that they can do to get at my data that's on there, they can still make use of the device by putting it into recovery mode and doing a full restore. :mad:

So, good news (potentially) for your data, but bad news for theft deterrence...it means a stolen iPod/iPhone is still worth something, even if it is locked.

I would like to see Apple solve this problem somehow in future versions of both devices. I don't know how realistic an expectation that is, though, as I myself cannot envision how this problem would be best solved.

In any case, congrats to the OP for getting your Touch back.

-- Nathan

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Stolen computers, most electronic devices, even stolen cars are usable -- just slap on another license plate. ;)

I just don't think manufacturers have a responsibility to develop and implement anti-theft precautions into their products. If they want to do that as a selling point, fine. If not, that's also perfectly acceptable.

20. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Just for future references you can find out the S/N of the last connected ipod in iTunes,
    hold ctrl and click iTunes | About iTunes, and it will show the S/N. [press space to pause]. This is for Mac, not sure what the procedure is on Windows.
    b. :)

21. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I can't speak for Mexico, but your friends to the north appreciate your efforts as well as our own soldiers :)

Sucks about the Touch, though.

22. varsitytiger32 macrumors newbie

good and bad news= THE TRUTH

BAD NEWS= YOUR IPOD WAS STOLEN AND THERE IS A WAY TO FREE IT OF ALL SETTINGS INCLUDING YOUR 4 DIGIT PASS CODE FOR THEM TO USE ANY WAY THEY CHOOSE AS IF IT WAS BOUGHT NEW.
    GOOD NEWS=YOU CAN TRACE IF YOU HAVE A CERIAL NUMBER, AND IF THEY DID FIGURE OUT HOW TO FREE IT, IT WOULD ERASE EVERY BIT OF INFORMATION IN ALL CATEGORIES AND SETTINGS THROUGHOUT THE IPOD. THE ENTIRE IPOD WILL BE ERASED AS IF IT HAD JUST CAME OUT OF THE BOX, EXCEPT IT WOULD HAVE THE SAME CERIAL AND IS TRACEABLE.

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Good to hear the OP got his iPod back. Sadly there are many thieves in the military. When my old unit was deployed a group came in and stole 12 laptops that were locked in foot lockers and countless mp3 players people had laying out (we were in tents). Thefts happen every time new units rotated into our base. Its disgusting how often it happens.