My Tracking Number Has Been Used Before

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, Dec 20, 2008.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Ordered something through Barnes & Noble the other day (shipped on the 18th) and when I clicked their tracking link, I'm confronted with the "billing info" for this year, but the rest of the data is for someone else in 2007.

Should I worry if the package doesn't deliver in a week (it's a 3-day thing)?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well id call up barnes and noble and try to see what they say first

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

If its 3 day, its guarantied to come in that 3 Days. If it doesn't come, call up [Fed-Ex/UPS/USPS/DHL] and tell them it was 3Day, and it didn't come.

4. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

You might want to check with the shipping company as they sometimes suspend their delivery guarantee for the holiday season (Dec. 17-25) as they know that they will have more volume that they can handle and will not be able to deliver within the promised time. Usually they have something on their website with this info.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Who's the shipper? I once got a FedEx tracking number and it was for an old package, but later in the evening, the old tracking info was updated with the current info for my package. I think they occasionally reuse tracking numbers

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

1. if they do enough shipping, and 2, this time of year, it's a good probability, numbers will get reused.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This has happened to me many times. It's never been anything worth worrying about, FWIW.

8. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Thanks, everyone.

I checked UPS a few moments ago and they have now erased the previous use of the tracking number. It hasn't gotten past "billing" yet, so I'll assume early next week.

:cool:

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Glad to hear it... what I don't get is why, when they use such long tracking numbers, they have to re-use them. Their tracking numbers are too long to be cycling through them this frequently....

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Lots of check digits and shipper digits I guess.

11. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Hmmm ...

Now it's back to showing 2007 delivery dates.

Wonder if they thought the 2008 billing date was in error and package is now on hold?

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sure it's not a flux capacitor?

13. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

B&N wrote back and claimed the package is "in transit" with a 23 Dec delivery.

I still see the old data. :(

14. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

UPS said the billing info has been received, but the package hasn't been picked up yet from B&N.

Hmmm ...

15. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

PACKAGE ARRIVED

On my B&N account, the UPS number they gave me was the Billing Info number. What they actually used to ship it was a different number.

I also received a package meant for someone else. It was supposed to be a gift from someone in Arkansas to someone in Oklahoma. The packing slip says so, but the box label is to me.

Worse: both numbers were reused from this summer. (My brother, who once worked in a small storefront shipping items through UPS, FedEx and others, suggested that B&N might be reusing numbers to get out of paying for shipping.)

I'm going to send the wrong package to the proper address when I can get out (I'm snowed in right now). Am not going to send back to B&N for them to resend it and possibly screw it up again.

Will I buy from B&N again? Sure, but I'll wait a month 'til I'm out of the holiday rush.