My Trackpad Died

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rhodent2013, Jul 21, 2009.

1. rhodent2013 macrumors member

Ok, so this is my first official Mac problem ever. I had been using my computer and then I closed the lid and it slept for a while. Maybe an hour. And then I picked it up and tried to use it and it wouldnt work. I was going to shut it down. I plugged my mouse in and it worked but if I tried to use the track pad it wouldnt. I had to use all four fingers to even get it to budge. I shut it down and turned it back on and now it works again. Has anyone else had this problem. I have the June 2009 MBP.

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I think hardware just sometimes becomes unresponsive and a reboot does the trick. My keyboard stopped working once and a reboot fixed it. I'm not sure of the cause of this problem but it just happens in all computers. Hardware can malfunction sometimes and a reset brings it back to life most of the time.

3. rhodent2013 thread starter macrumors member

This is decent news. If it happens again, I don't know what I will do. I will only take it in if it happens repeatedly. That is what AppleCare is for ;)

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Well if it happens more, try to boot into your install disk and repair the permissions on your disk. There is sometimes a problem with the permissions associated with hardware that causes some problems.

5. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

i believe theres an option in system preferences, where you can choose for your computer to ignore the trackpad when a mouse is connected.

when it budged when you moved four fingers, you might have moved the mouse with your elbow or something, to give an illusion that the four fingers finally made the trackpad to respond.

i dont know though, because you say that it wasnt responding right after you woke it up. probably just a one time thing where something between the trackpad input and the rest of the computer failed.
    unless it happens again, and continues to happen often, then it is not a big problem.