Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
You see I have SpeedBurst with Comcast, and I just downloaded VMWare beta. Check this out. 1.1MBps! Thats 8.8Mbps! Actually for a small time Safari was reporting 1.2MBps. Not too shabby for my 6Mbps connection :)

Just happy I am on holiday vacation and the series of tubes to my house don't seem to be full yet...

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    24 KB · Views: 249

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Check this out. 1.1MBps! Thats 8.8Mbps!

Hmm, I'm confused, I always thought MBps and Mbps were the same thing. What is the difference?

I ususally get 650kbps but depends on the source. I was getting 1MBps (I think...it was ~1017KB/s) from F.E.A.R updater's FTP program, and thats over wireless!

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Hmm, I'm confused, I always thought MBps and Mbps were the same thing. What is the difference?

I ususally get 650kbps but depends on the source. I was getting 1MBps (I think...it was ~1017KB/s) from F.E.A.R updater's FTP program, and thats over wireless!

bits and bytes...big difference. B = Bytes, b = bits

8 bits = 1 Byte

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I dont think you will get 8 if you are paying for 6. ISPs set the limit at their end. Check that you havent had a free upgrade and they havent told you. Its happened to me before.

I was paying for 1 but got upgraded to 2 for free. Since then I have been upgraded for free another two times so Im now on 4. I get exactly 4Mbps max.

Try the speakeasy test to check your speed.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I have a 6Mbps cable connection as well (Road Runner Time Warner) and often get around 9 (~1.2MB/s). Wish I could get torrents up that high. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.