My turn to ask you guys which size I should get

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SonRK, May 14, 2015.

1. SonRK macrumors 6502

5'6, pretty skinny guy

26 years old, so no additional growing will be done.

The one I want (and have on preorder) is the 42mm SS Classic Belt with an arrival date of July. Saw the 38mm version was shipping fast, and the 42mm Blue Sport, so I got them to see if which size would be best.

First of all, the SS + Leather belt just makes the product look so much better. The Sport looks like a toy, but that's probably because of the dull aluminum and bright colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do like the bigger screen and (better battery life?), but combined with the blue color, it currently looks like a large toy on my wrist.

I wonder if the SS + Classic belt would help remedy that issue and offset the larger size.

2. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

If you want a large screen that's easier to see, get that one.

I think the whole wrist size thing is stupid

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You seem to be able to pull off either so it's up to you.

4. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

Here's my personal opinion on watch sizes.

If you are a Watchie (is that a word?) and wear them as timepieces or jewelry, you're going to want a 38mm. I refuse to wear giant watches - it removes the class from wearing a timepiece.

If you are a Techy and want a better user experience with the device, I'd get a 42mm (which is what I did, although I am both a watchie and a techy).

To be honest, the 42mm looks a bit big on your wrist from a straight fashion sense, but you need to decide what is more important to you.

My father is an administrator and has to sit in meetings with a suit all day (fashion matters in these meetings), so he chose to get the 38mm. I'm an entry level engineer and I go to work in jeans with a button down shirt and I chose to go with a 42mm. Buy what fits your use case..

5. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

38 if you want classy subtle look. 42 if you want that bold "I have an apple watch" look.

I call mapple86 coming in and saying the 38 is too small and 42 would be perfect :)

6. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 6502a

I think they're both okay but prefer the proportion of the 38 on you.

7. michael1019 macrumors member

definitely the 42.

but also definitely the 38.

Seriously, its up to you. I like big watches, though I've always been a watch guy. I just know what I like.

What do you like? Make up your own mind. Better yet - read The Fountainhead. You'll never ask someone's opinion ever again. Seriously though, you won't be happy unless its what YOU want.

Which do you prefer?

8. cruzmisl macrumors regular

Go with your gut. I knew from the beginning that 38 was the right size for me.

9. alexwei macrumors regular

10. LD Curb macrumors regular

LD Curb

I had the 42 and now have the 38 and I don't find the 38 any harder to see/read at all and I am a senior citizen. The battery life seems to be about the same ... I find the 38 to be more compact .. for some reason it is just easier for me to glance at .. hard to explain. Anyway, get the one you love!

11. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I really think the Apple Watch should be worn as a watch that accents the phone and not a flat screen TV that tells everyone you have one. I tend to think the 38mm looks a lot better on most people with smaller wrists while the 42 looks good on larger individuals.

12. loyalist macrumors 6502

42 and hit to the gym.

For tips on weightlifting, see the many, great weightlifting threads in this forum and oh, don't ask about wearing gloves ;)

13. SonRK thread starter macrumors 6502

I was bored so I decided to attach the 38mm leather band to the 42mm Sport body.

I guess unsurprisingly, it DOES click in. It just has some missing gaps, but it is sturdy.

Anyways

[​IMG]

Looks like I'm going to cancel my 42mm SS order, I think the 38 is just right.

14. trek360 macrumors 6502

good choice.

15. KPOM macrumors G5

Agreed. The 38mm is a better choice for you. As a bonus, they are shipping more quickly. Hopefully Apple doesn't drop the 38mm because the 42mm is selling better. The 38mm is better on a lot of people.

16. joshneedham macrumors member

Why pick just one?

Attached Files:

17. SonRK thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish it were that easy! I wouldn't mind keeping both to be honest :p

It seems you can only have one watch paired to an iPhone at once. Lame

18. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

19. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

You can have only one paired at a time or one paired at all? Can't you switch them? I unpair and re-pair the one I have just to fix glitches and it's not a big deal in terms of time and bother. Can do that while having a bowl of cereal. I'd love to have both a sport and my SS if I could afford it.

lol that you manage to have two watches and loads of folks can't get hold of even one!

I liked the 38 best on you. But really it's pretty close. You've got a wide wrist.