My TV fell on my Hard Drive

joey4127

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
My TV fell onto my External Hard Drive. When I plug it into my computer it just makes cracking noise, so I opened it up and looked on the inside while it tried to work and the little arm that reads it goes up then makes a cracking noise and comes down. It does that for a while and it just see's it as a USB Mass Storage Device but still can't read anything on it or even open it.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Did you open the actual hard drive itself, not just the case it was in? If you can see the arm moving back and forth than I assume you did. Doing so completely voids your warranty, as I'm sure you already know. Its dead.

How exactly did your TV fall on your external drive? I'm trying to figure out how such a situation might occur and I'm at a loss here.

Comment

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
When a hard drive is opened by a professional, they use a "clean room". Is your room a "clean room"?

Comment

joey4127

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
My TV fell after the Earthquake..I'm in Japan and we had a 7.2 one last week.

Did the TV survive the fall?

-NO

What were you watching?

-I wasn't home

Is your room a "clean room"?

No, because the earthquake made it messy...But on the otherside, it was always messy.

Anyways...I will keep the enclosure and just get a internal HD and turn it into a external

Comment

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
joey4127 said:
My TV fell after the Earthquake..I'm in Japan and we had a 7.2 one last week.

Did the TV survive the fall?

-NO

What were you watching?

-I wasn't home

Is your room a "clean room"?

No, because the earthquake made it messy...But on the otherside, it was always messy.

Anyways...I will keep the enclosure and just get a internal HD and turn it into a external
Good answer

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.